Weight tape?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Ross, May 14, 2004.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Can't say I've heard of one, and probably for the wool. I ship on condition mostly, if the loin has good flesh covering they will yeild decent cuts. I do have a scale too, but it takes a balance of wieght and condition. I expect your goat tape would work as an estimate (if you can get past the wool. Maybe use a peice of twine to go around and measure that?

2. bergere

bergere Just living Life

I found the weight Tapes, did not work at all for the sheep, because of the wool. Even a small amount of wool growth can throw the lbs off by quite a bit. You really do need a scale.

If you ask around your local FFA, or 4-H club, someone might be selling a used one.

3. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Well, just for the fun of it, I measured him with twine, trying to get under all his wool. According to a sheep weight guide I found online that uses a weight tape (and who knows how accurate it is?), he's about 96 pounds. According to my *husband* who actually picked him up, he still weighs less than our dog...who is about 100 pounds.

My best *guess* at this point is that he's about 80 - 85ish... He has nice conditioning, as best as I can tell...but this is the very first lamb I've ever seen up close and personal (I'm so new to this!), so I guess I'm not certain.

I'm thinking we'll shear him this weekend. His wool is SO SOFT!!! I have dreams of getting it into my hands for that spinning wheel! :haha: Then either next weekend or the weekend after that we'll butcher. I'd rather take care of that *before* we go on vacation in the middle of June...one less animal for our caretakers to deal with...

Thanks for your help - I'll keep looking around for a scale! I'll probably call the extension office and see if they've heard of someone wanting to sell one...

-Sarah

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I use an Arkfeld hog scale. Its accurate and great for a few but doing alot being a spring scale it takes too long. I really need an electronic scale for doing more than a few.