Weight of Calf?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by caroline00, Sep 16, 2006.

1. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

He measures 46" around just behind his armpits... ummm...thats where you measure goats to figure out how much they weigh... if that is the way you do calves, can someone look it up on thier weigh tape? or were you just pulling my leg that they make such a thing?

Thanks!

2. Cloverbud

Cloverbud Well-Known Member

Caroline, there really is such a thing. Unfortunately, all mine are for horses! :) Perhaps you could ask your vet if no one here has an answer for you.

3. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Hi, I have a weight tape handy. What breed is the animal? I will give you a estimate....Tennessee John

4. john in la

john in la Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This weight conversion chart is for dairy heifers but you will get the idea.

5. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

Thanks! he is 4 months and is 46" so I am guessing around 300 pounds? Why do they add the age too? Does it matter? He is a dairy steer (brown swiss)

6. john in la

john in la Well-Known Member

Yes 300 lbs is a good guess.

The age is added so that you can see how you are doing in your progress to reach a 1st calf by 24 months old.

While your calf should be a little bigger than the chart by age because he is a bull lets assume you had a heifer.

If your 4 month old heifer was 46" you could see by the chart that you were over feeding it and may have problems down the road if you did not take steps to correct it now. Fat heifers do not breed as well.

On the other hand if she was 46" and 6 months old you could see that you need to feed more to reach a ideal breeding weight for a calf at 24 months.

Without the age you may get so far off tract that you would be past the point of no return before you really knew you were off tract at all.

BY THE WAY.........................
    If you all want a copy of the chart you better print; copy; or down load it now because the picture hosting site I have the picture on will automatcally delete it in about 3 or 4 days.