Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm overweight by about 40 to 50 pounds which in itself is not too bad, but as I'm aging it's causing me bad health repercussions. My blood pressure is up and my knees and back hurt so bad that somedays I don't even want to get out of bed. I'm also menopausal and it seems that any attempts I make to lose weight gets me nowhere. Tactics that worked great for me when I was younger no longer even budges a pound.

Help!! Can anyone here tell me what weight loss approaches have been successful for you. I know small changes are supposed to help, but it seems to be getting me nowhere. I don't drink soda and I don't eat alot of sweets. I do like pasta and potatoes, but don't eat more than one serving at dinnertime.

I go for complete physical with a new doctor in December. I sure would like to be down in weight by then. I don't want to be put on BP medication which is a likelihood if I don't lose some weight. I don't like taking prescription meds with all of their bad side effects. I would also just like to feel good again, you know light on my feet and energetic. :help: :Bawling:

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Songbird,

Sorry, but I'm going to take you to task here: Quote ...."I'm overweight by about 40 to 50 pounds which in itself is not too bad,....."
That IS bad. It's VERY bad. And I had the same problem. Doc took my B.P. and wanted to put me on medication straight away because it was so high. I resisted, because once you start on that path, you're usually stuck on it. He told me to cut out the salt, sugar, fats, fast-foods and alchohol, and do more exersize. (I was a SCUBA diving instructor at the time!)
So I cut out the first four of those, switched to home brewed beer, (allowed myself 2 small bottles on weekends), and went for a 1 hr walk early each morning - not a jog, just a nice easy walk.
In 2 months I went from 92 Kg down to 78 Kg - A loss of 14 Kg, (about 30 lbs in your money.) And my B.P. dropped down to proper levels. (Doc was amazed.) After that I went for a 1 hr 'maintenance' walk three or four times times a week. I no longer struggled to get out of bed, there was no more back-ache, and I felt GOOD!
I also read the book 'The Liver Cleansing Diet', by Dr Sandra Cabbot, and would recommend it to anyone who was interested not only in losing weight, but improving their entire body system.

Shin

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
My #1 tip is drink water! Lots and lots of water! I've been on several different diets with varying results, but the one consistent thing I've noticed is that when I drank the amount of water recommended (64 oz/day, I think) the weight came off. And if I didn't drink enough water, it didn't matter how little I ate, nothing happened. And it's gotta be water, diet soda or even unsweetened iced tea doesn't work.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I wish you the best. It is a hard struggle, and many who do not walk in your shoes will give you down the road for being overweight. In our day and age it is often considered a character flaw to be obese. Those who have been thin all of their lives will feign indignant over the fact that you dare to be large.
It's tough. Just take one day at a time, take in fewer calories than you expend, and be good to yourself. Walk, Walk, Walk.

galump

·
Enjoying Four Seasons
3,107 Posts
I got chickens ~ and put the coop at the bottom of a big hill about a 500 feet away. Yuppers...after 6 months of walking up a down there a few times I was able to lose the extra pounds. I guess try to do something fun...but something that you will have to do everyday for exercise. Good Luck.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,476 Posts
Walk. Walk. Walk.

Start with 100 yards. Work up slowly to three miles.

Walk.

It helps to avoid fried foods and junk food and soft drinks, too.

The whole diet industry tries to make the solution complicated, but it's not.

We get fat because we don't move enough and we eat too much. Period.

Eat less. Move more.

Walk.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
I don't know if I should give a plug for WW or not, but I've had success previously with Weight Watchers Online. I need to go back on it too. The weight creeps back on overnight it seems.

·
23,497 Posts
I have lost a good bit of weight over the last year, slowly at first and now a little more each month. I found that once I started to lose, it was easier to lose more. I have not eliminated any foods from my diet. I still use salt, I eat home-baked goods, I eat normal meals, but I only eat about half as much as I used to eat. I simply fix my plate and eat what is on it and that is all. For breakfast I eat one egg and one piece of toast instead of the traditional two. I do drink a lot of water, drinks being my downfall. I have limited myself to one drink a day that has calories in it, usually I have this with supper. I have started exercising on the treadmill, I started very slowly and am working my way up.

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
Virtually no one successfully keeps weight off for the long haul through diet alone. You simply have to exercise, and that's the best of all possible things for your health, too. Melissa is correct in that once you start to lose some weight, it starts to go faster - that's because you'll have more calorie burning muscle mass in proportion to fat (this is why men typically lose weight much faster than women do).

Walking is a great place to start - a few miles a day at a good clip (you may need to start slow and gradually increase). Don't be shy in finding other things that might interest you - running, biking, hiking, any of a zillion things. You're never too old to learn to do something new. If it gets you sweating and gets your heart rate up, you're doing yourself a lot of good. Weight training can help too, by increasing your muscle mass (see above) and by helping your joints avoid injury.

If I were you, I would focus on making exercise a daily part of your life, and simply eating sensibly (sounds like you're already doing that). Good luck!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
The biggest mistake that people make is NOT eating enough food in a day and NOT drinking enough water.

Another thing people do is to over portion and allow blood sugars to fluctuate too much.

5-7 SMALL meals in a day and about a gal of water. Eating from all food groups, in proper portions. EXERCISE, even if it's a half hour walk a day, MOVE your body.

CUT out excessive sugars, fake sugars, hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup.

Believe it or not, people do get fat by not eating enough food, don't fall into that trap. In the same sense, people get fat by eating what they think is healthy food, because it "doesn't have sugar or butter" in it. Those "fake sugars and hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils" are more detrimental to your weight than any real butter used within reason (maxing out on 2 TB a DAY is the limit), and real sugar (again maxing out on 2TB a day of the real stuff including honey). Learning portion control of healthy foods and reteaching your body to be content w/o the bad stuff, is the key. It may take up to a month for some, before they are able to get over that habbit hump, but once you are over it, it's much easier to eat healthy and listen to your body better.

RAW veggies and pickles are your friend when you have the munchies as well, just don't dip them unless in vinegar which is also your friend.

Best to you and don't forget to drink water and move your body in the process.
Reese

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I struggle with my weight as well. I joined Weight Watchers and in a year I'm only down 10 pounds. The WW program is great if you can stick with it. I keep going even though progress is basically non-existent because I'm afraid if I don't go I won't have any motivation to try.

I do really good when I follow the WW core program which cuts out bread entirely. But I can't seem to stick to it for more than a week and then I go back to flex where you are basically counting points (calories).

I'm just not very motivated. I admit it. I need to lose 40 - 50 pounds as well.

I have given up on the exercise thing. I tried, I really did. I would take the kids walking and it was like herding cats and then the little one would give up after 15 minutes. I belong to a gym but it is a 30 minute drive to go. If we go the kids want to swim and then I have to supervise the youngest and teach him to swim and don't get to swim laps. I also homeschool so I really have to try and get that 4 hours of learning in somewhere as well as the chores and the errands.

I know excuses, excuses! I need to try harder.

Sorry, I'm not a lot of help, am I?

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
I very much agree with everyone that exercise really makes the difference. Remmber that your muscles burn fat and if you aren't using them....

I do a lot of exercises throughout the day--even now at my computer chair. Google: desk exercise. I do leg lifts when doing the dishes or brushing teeth. When I pick a weed or get something out of a lower cabinet or drawer I do squats or another one whose name I can't remember. When driving I flex different muscles--mostly my bottom--which by the way will help greatly with back problems.

When carrying groceries or food for animals, I try to lift them to my shoulders as I walk. If you have kids, get a kid's exercise video and do it with them--they will love it and you will love it. Play ball with them and tag.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Melissa's plan is closest to what appears to be the best means to not only lose weight but to maintain your weightloss. Seems it's just as important to not feel deprived, left out etc. -- simply eat what you have been eating but less of it and to up the execise gradually.

The only other thing which is often repeated is to keep an honest food journal - measure and count the calories of every morsel you put in your mouth, until you can know exactly how many calories you actually are consuming. As much as some diets would have you believe calories do not count they are the deciding factor - eat'em and don't burm 'em they all change to fat.

Now...if ONLY I could take my own advise :)

Hugs,
Marlene

·
23,497 Posts
I have often read in magazines these pre-planned diets and they just did not seem practical for someone who has to cook for a family, lives the homesteading lifestyle, and has a tight food budget. The diet might call for 1/2 cup of blueberries, but I have strawberries growing like crazy. I figured it would be best to just eat normal, healthy foods, but cut the portions. I like food, I like to eat, I love to cook, I don't want to give up apple pie, or fudge! I want to eat spaghetti or a piece of steak once in a while. Cutting portion size seemed to be the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
9,136 Posts
tomato and lettus sandwiches you can have the bacon but only on your first one for each meal

might use the low carb bread to I didn't but i would only eat 2 at a sitting that and water no soda and only milk at one meal.

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
I'd like to lose about 20-30 pounds...I'm not real worried about it 'cause I've been at exactly the same weight for about 8 years; I figure if I'm not gaining, I'm doing something right. But I know what my problem is - late meals. I stay up too late and I get hungry. I don't necessarily eat junk, I actually have a pretty healthy diet. But eating anything at midnight isn't a good idea.

·
Yuppie Scum
1,432 Posts
Songbird said:
I'm also menopausal and it seems that any attempts I make to lose weight gets me nowhere. Tactics that worked great for me when I was younger no longer even budges a pound.
Exercise. If you are menopausal, you should also do some weight training, because that will also help with your bone density. Weight training will also build muscle which burns calories faster than fat. Muscle is also denser than fat, so if you 'trade' a pound of fat for a pound of muscle, you will lose inches.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Songbird:

Don't forget we have a forum for weight loss on HT. You'll lose more weight if you have to be accountable to others and weigh in on a regular basis. There are also tips the successful forum members share there.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts