weight loss and cholesterol

Discussion in 'Weight Loss Forum' started by Doc, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member Supporter

My cholesterol is "borderline high" and my Doc wants to start me on Lipitor. I don't. After a long absence from regular exercise, I've just started back to Curves (3x/wk) and want to give that program some time to work before starting any kind of statin drug.

However, I have read some interesting information about "cholestasys", which is pretty expensive, but the testimonials are encouraging.

Has anyone taken this alternative medication or know anything about it?

2. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

my cholesterol dropped like 60 points with just exercise-i've not lost any of the weight i need to lose, but my cholesterol went from "if it doesn't go down in 6 months, we're putting you on meds" to "well within the safe limits." and i use real butter, drink whole, raw, goat milk, etc.

3. Doc

Okgoatgal: how long had you been exercising before the 60 points dropped? Congrats! by the way. That's inspiring.

4. okgoatgal2

well, when i went to the dr last july, it was up. when i went the first week of april, after 1 month of daily workouts, it was down.

i didn't exercise any more between times, and the only eating i changed was i changed schools, so no longer ate school meals (have to pay for them at the new school :) ) i'm a teacher, so i'm on my feet most of the day, but i did quit eating school breakfast and lunch, so that probly helped some.

but, like i said, i only worked out for a month prior to going back to the dr.

5. Doc

OKGoatGal: what type of exercise are you doing?

6. okgoatgal2

walking on the treadmill, random setting, 30-65 minutes a day, up to 4mph for 3/4 of the time i'm on it. the rest is warm up and cool down time, starting at 2.5mph for a minute, then increasing in .3-.5mph increments until i'm up to 4mph. i also do the weight machines at the gym, and am starting a few dumbell exercises. occasionally, if my back or shins are bugging me, i'll do the elliptical or the bike for 30-45 minutes.