Weight gain on my calves?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by unioncreek, Jul 17, 2004.

1. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I put two calves on pasture the beginning of May, they weighed 1020 pounds together. I went and got them off pasture so that I could take one along to the sale when I run a bull to the auction on Wednesday. I weighed them on the same scale and they weighed 1400 pounds, that figured out to around 5.4 pounds per day. The average weight gain would be around 2.5# per steer. I always thought that one pound of weight gain per day was doing pretty good on grass and mine got nothing but grass.

Bob

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

That is about the normal gain on straight grass pasture.

3. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

A lot depends on frame size. If they were small and fat, gain would be less per day. If they were thinner and had a large frame established, gain will be greater. Still, this is an excellent rate of gain, you got good grass, and are doing things right, good job.

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I agree you are doing a good job!

Remember if you wait until they are finished and then figure your rate of gain...it will be less as it slows down once they aren't growing as much as just putting on fat and filling out.

Jena

5. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I had these calves on a place where I cut hay, pasture was free, they wanted it used so it didn't go to waste. I was going to leave them on it all summer, but need to haul a bull to market and decided to save an extra trip. The calves are longhorn/herford cross. I am going to save the lighter one and butcher him around the first of the year after graining him.

Bob

6. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

If these calves had empty bellies the first time you weighed them and full ones the second time, this could account for about 100 lbs of the difference.

7. PezzoNovante

PezzoNovante Well-Known Member

I'd be curious to see what the sale barn reports as sold weight. In my 7 years of stocker operation the best gain I've seen over 180 days is a pound and a half gain per day.