weight difference of Boer and Dairy

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Dee, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Does anyone know about what the difference in weight if you are using a weight tape? So, if my Boer measures 125 pounds with the tape, she really weighs? Hopefully there will be someone who has both and looked into this.

By the way, they are Alpine/Boer mixes but with 7/8 and 15/16 Boer.

Thanks for any help. These girls are too big to try to weigh on a scale.

2. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

anyone, please?

3. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

well, since you asked nicely :)
    I have noticed a slight discrepancy between the dairy and the meat goats when I use the weigh tape. One of my old (delicious) meat wethers (3/4 boer, 1/4 nubian) weighed 80 pounds according to the weigh tape but a few hours later, when they weighed him after he was dead but before they cut anything, he was 105 pounds. That's a 25 pound difference! I'm not sure if there is a hard and fast rule for adding or subtracting with dairy vs meat when using a weigh tape. I sell according to what the weigh tape says unless I am able to get a scale, but for administering medicine, I round up with my meat or stocky animals and round down with my refined or dairy animals.
    It's worked so far!
    Sorry I can't be more of a help. Hopefully someone else will have a better answer.

4. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

I found a meat goat site one time that said to add 20%, but could not locate it again when I ran a search.

5. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

With the weight tape, what's the difference in weight if they are heavily pregnant? Does it still give an accurate weight? I'm curious, because a few months ago when I was weighing all my does, the 3/8 Boer doe taped at 200 pounds (!). She was well-boned, wide-chested and all that, and about four months or so pregnant -- and fat. But more dairy conformation than meat, at least she wasn't as heavily muscled as the few pure Boers I've seen.

Kathleen (just wondering)

6. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

A friend who breeds both says the weigh tapes are for unbred dairy goats. A scale is the best thing to use for a Boer.

7. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Thanks Carrie and Stacy. I thought it was that much. Definitely undosing, by alot.

I am thinking if the rain lets up, I'll call a place that has a car scale to see if they will let me weigh with the goat and without. Ooo, there is a newspaper recycle place close by that might do it. Thanks goatkid.

I also have a deer scale but the harness isn't big enough for the big goats. (it was humorous trying though. Finally get them on only to realize they were standing on their back legs) I can do the kids and see what the difference in the tape is with them.

Thank you

8. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

Glad I could help (sort of)
    let us know what the % or poundage difference is. I for one would be very interested.

9. delphinium

delphinium Well-Known Member

It is my understanding the weigh tapes don't work for mini breed goats.