weighing a pig

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by kath2003, Dec 6, 2004.

1. kath2003

kath2003 Well-Known Member

Could someone please tell me the best way to weigh a pig.I heard something about using a tape??Thanks,

2. VApigLover

VApigLover Well-Known Member

first measure pig girth, measure chest right behind fron legs, then measure the lenght from between the ears to where the tail starts. Multiply Girth X Girth X lenth then devide by 400, this should provide a good estimate for weight.

Also if you look back through past posts you will find lots on this subject

3. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

I pick them up and step on a scale, weigh us both and then weigh myself and do the subtraction. It helps if someone else reads the scale. It is also important to have the scale on a flat surface. A sheet of 3/4" plywood works well. It should be fairly level although I don't find it has to be exact.

When they are under 50 or 60 lbs I tend to pick them up gentely by both back legs and hang them head down while I examine them and weigh them. They are calmer this way than if I try to cradle them. They can be real screamers if you pick them up by the body like you might a child or puppy so this tends to be better. Some still scream pretty loud though! It isn't pain - just their way of calling mom - phone home pig-eeetee. :)

Around 50 or 60 lbs of weight they tend to be calmer if I pick them up by wrapping one arm under and holding a front leg with the other hand holding them across my hip.

After 100lbs or so I find it easier if I can wrap one arm around the back legs and the other under their chin around their front legs and cradle them infront of me. This only works if they cooperate. I find that this method isn't practical with a pig larger than 100 lbs if they struggle. The other too methods work when they struggle.

After 200 lbs or so I don't bother picking them up anymore. :) It's off to market.

This is limited though - once the pig gets too big it doesn't work. Our scale only goes up to 350 lbs. The pig plus me quickly hit that mark long before market weight. Then I resort to the tape measure method (in inches):

weight ~= heart girth * heart girth * crown between ears to tail base length / 400

When I get real weights for big pigs after checking the tape measure method I find it to be as much as 50 lbs off so take it with a grain of salt.

For under a thousand dollars you can get a 'real' pig scale. :)

Do note, that if you pick up piglets with a sow around she may object. I've never had a problem from ours but they do show concern and I could imagine them strenuously objecting with a stranger for sure!

Cheers,

-Walter
    in Vermont

4. kath2003

OK??? Couldn't read a bit of that! :haha:

5. rickochet

rickochet Member

miss Kathy,I used the formula by Vapig.From what I hear this gets pretty close.I measured them while they had their head in the feeders,which seems to be most of the time lately when not sleeping or taking care of business.Had an old freind of mine come by and visit who use to raise hogs and he told me the weight I came up with was as close as he would say.So there ya go.Id give it a try.Until the next time,take care,and Happy New Year!,Rick

6. kath2003

And a very happy new year to you too!! It is going to be 55* here tomorrow so I am planning on trying myself! I'll let ya know how it goes. Thanks Rick, :cool:

7. kath2003

That is so gross in their pen!!! I gotta wait untill it freezes again.I can't even catch em, :haha:

8. kath2003

Still can't catch the little fattys!They sure are strong,and LOUD. WOW :eek: