Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A must read for anyone planning to buy garlic from wegrowgarlic next season. Copied/pasted from the wegrowgarlic website

2014 News - please read
The 2014 crop survived the coldest winter on record and the second wettest June on record quite well proving just how hardy garlic can be! Every single clove sprouted this spring. Our schedules did not give us the time needed this year to keep the field weeded as our "free" time corresponded quite well with the rainy and lightning filled days of June. We are allergic to being struck by lightning... As harvest started the first few varieties out of the field were nice but smaller than their usual potential because of the weed competition. Rather than feeling discouraged I found myself secretly hoping the whole crop was a loss and started to get excited that when I pack the kids and their pony off to camp later this summer I would be free to go along and chaperone and started thinking of all the fun summer things we could now do. That reaction shocked me a bit and completely changed our plan for harvest. Instead of harvesting all of everything we concentrated on harvesting our favorites, some that looked too good to abandon, and just enough of each variety to keep them going. I questioned my decision all through harvest until we received word of a death in the family which further enforced I was making the correct decision. It's time to take a step back and enjoy some family time and have some fun rather than spend all of our "non-work" time working. The decision was reinforced a final time when about half way through harvest we discovered part of the field was being heavily guarded by some very territorial vicious ground nesting hornets. At that point we valued human life much more than garlic and grabbed enough for our seed and left even the nice stuff behind. Had we sprayed their nests the garlic would have been useless as we do not use any chemicals in our garlic fields. So, for 2014 we listed only about 50 of our 250 or so varieties for sale. Going forward our garlic hobby will be much, much, much smaller. I may or may not consider offers for the website domain name and if desired, may possibly throw in some start up garlic and some detailed advice or mentoring on starting and running a garlic business rather than the general free advice I've shared with many previously. However, even growing just a small amount of each variety to keep our personal collection alive will produce far more garlic than we will need so perhaps we will have just a little bit for sale in 2015. No final decisions have been made yet but at this point all we can say is that next summer our family is going light on the work and heavy on the fun for a change. Our kids need to experience at least one torturous summer trip together as a family. Who knows, perhaps we won't be able to stand the free time and will be back in 2016? Many thanks to our loyal customers over the years; sharing our garlic with you has been our sincere honor! In many ways this feels like leaving some dear friends behind. Happy garlic growing!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts