Weevils in the animal feed!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by JanetJ, Feb 29, 2008.

1. JanetJ

JanetJ Well-Known Member

We have quite a few bags of whole corn set back for animal feed. I had to get a bag of something else from the feed storage room yesterday, and the stack of sacks of whole corn is humming! The whole stack seems to be humming.

I found evicence of what I believe is corn weevils. I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with these weevils and how to get rid of them.

What we plan to do at this point is go get some large metal trash cans. I will put weather stripping on the inside of the lid around the edge to make them somewhat more sealable. I was going to empty the 50# sacks into the cans, add diatomeceaous earth to the grain, then put a bit of dry ice on the top and close the can, sealing it as much as possible.

Does that sound like something that might get rid of the weevils? What has anyone else done to get rid of these weevils?

2. texican

texican Well-Known Member

I'd say forget your current feed... get rid of it, either by feeding more to your animals or to the wildlife. imho, Storing it with dead weevils isn't something to do... The grain could get rancid in a hurry.Why waste time and money on bad grain... If you have that many weevils, it's probably worthless anyhow... give all of it to the chickens... they'll love the extra protein..... Invest in barrels, replenish your stock, and sterilize the whole area... you have weevils now, you'll have weevils later, unless you kill all of them, and their eggs. If you use trash cans make sure to seal up the handle area with caulk... I forgot on one of my trash can storage bins, and they got in through the tiny crack.

3. haypoint

haypoint Well-Known Member Supporter

If you intend on picking the bugs out, remember to just get the smaller weevils, as me Grandpappy would say, " When given the choice, always pick the lesser of two weevils."

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with Texican. Feed it to the chickens and get your storage room cleaned up quick!

5. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

LOL. I saw a bumper sticker that said "I fear no weevil"

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

If it's really far gone I don't know that I'd even feed it to the chickens. It may be fertilizer by now.

I second the feed room cleaning. Be thorough. Sweep it all out then spray some insecticide in the corners and cracks. That may break the cycle, but if it's as bad as you say you may have a problem for a while.

ALL of my feed is kept in either metal garbage cans or plastic drums. The last time I had a weevil infestation (brought home from the feed store) I emptied, washed thoroughly, then dried in the sun all of my metal feed cans. That broke the infestation, but I'm sure I'll bring some more home sooner or later.

For feed that I intend to store for some months I fumigate it with dry ice as I detail in this thread - http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=207195 Weevils cannot survive or reproduce in a high carbon dioxide environment. Of course you'll still need to protect the feed from moisture and rodents so I only do this in plastic drums that I can seal tightly. If you have squirrel problems them cover the tops of the drums with a piece of plywood or sheet metal so they can't chew through them.

.....Alan.

7. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

Pigs will love it too.

Pete