Weevils in Barley

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by thumbsup, Dec 22, 2017.

1. thumbsup

thumbsup Member

I bought some barley a few months back to start a fodder system going, small one just to see how the rabbits would like it and if I could save a couple bucks since EVERYTHING where I live is high cost of living. For the same amount of pellets I could get double the weight of sprouted barley (supposedly) so I figured this would be good to stretch the food supply a bit - I wouldn't totally stop the pellets of course!

Had some issues, working a lot and coming late etc. Found that some rats had eaten into the box I stored the barley - got rid of those rats/mice for now. Replaced the bag of barley into a thick bucket with a lid for another month or two.

Opened up the bucket and now there's a bunch of black weevils in the damned barley!

Can I still use this to make fodder you think or should I toss it out? I was planning on just using it anyway and whatever sprouts, sprouts...I have about 20lbs so I'd hate to put it to waste honestly.

2. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

Rats sometimes carry Leptospirosis. Pets and humans can contract it from anything the rats have contaminated. I'd pitch it out for that reason.
    The insect infestation will reduce germination. I'd want to drown them and try to eliminate any "escapees".
    Sprouted grain doubles or triples the weight, but it is mostly water. It is a great treat for your bunnies, fresh greens are nice.

thumbsup likes this.

3. thumbsup

thumbsup Member

Ahhh, I didn't think too far ahead of the leptispirosis as I thought it'd eventually die after a couple months but upon further reading it still sounds dangerous to myself and the rabbits. Thank you for bringing that up! I'm gonna toss that bag right away.

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

If you have a chest freezer with enough room you can put your grains in it for a few days and that will kill most insects that may be in it.

It won't affect the germination and may even help it.

haypoint and Fire-Man like this.
  5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Do you have chickens? Chickens do eat bugs.