weepy eye

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by kesoaps, Jan 24, 2005.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I noticed one of my ewes had a bit of a weepy eye the other day. I can't really see anything wrong, thought perhaps she'd gotten some hay there or bumped herself. I was gone all day today, so didn't get a good look at it (dark out there!), but doesn't really look much better. No swelling or pus, just weepy.

She's still eating fine and behaving normally. Color in gums, etc., looked fine yesterday. Anything I should be concerned about or looking for?

2. adnilee

adnilee Well-Known Member

We have the same problem right now with one of our ewes. I lifted the upper eye lid and it was a little pink in there compared to the other eye. I spoke to an experienced breeder yesterday and he said it was most likely from being poked by hay. She likes to dig to the bottom of the hay to find the alfalfa and could possibly have poked herself with a stalk. He said it isn't much to worry about, but we could put some eye ointment on it if we wanted. We are just keeping an eye on it for a few days.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

If you have an antibiotic topical ointment for eyes I'd use it, you could use some LA 200 or other tetracycline injectable just to be safe but I'd start with something less drastic. My eyes water too and wouldn't appreciate a jab in the back of the neck because of it!

4. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Thanks folks. I checked her first thing this morning and she's definitely better. Well, better than she was. I figure it was hay or something. :)