weeping eye

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by straight shot, Sep 4, 2006.

1. straight shot

straight shot Well-Known Member

I have a new Dutch, male around 2 yrs. He has a weeping eye. Its white in color and his coat is not as good as should be.( other than that he eats and drinks and is happy to see me) I picked him up at a ----ty auction. He is in isolation from the rest of my rabbits. I felt sorry for him and thought with a cleaning up and good food he would be responding better by now.

I don't have tons of rabbit experience so any thoughts on what I should do for him?

Thanks

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The rabbit is white or the weeping eye is white? It's not clear to me which you mean. :confused:

It's good that you have him in isolation and I assume you are being very careful about the possibility of anything being carried to your other rabbits on your hands or clothes.

I hope someone with a lot of experience will be able to give you the advice you need to help this rabbit.

3. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, until we know if the eye, itself, is white (meaning blindness), the rabbit is white (not a factor), or the discharge from the eye is white (evidence of the presence of pus), then, there isn't a whole lot we can do! Please clarify.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

4. Nancy in Maine

Nancy in Maine Well-Known Member

I don't have a lot of medical experience with rabbits myself, but this past summer one of my rabbits had a watery eye. It was just a clear discharge with no pus but the eye kept watering for a few days. I figured he had dust in it and maybe it was getting infected. So once a day I washed his eye with a mild solution of Boric Acid Powder/Water. I wet a paper towel with the solution and squeezed a bit in and around his eye. It cleared up after a couple of days. But I doubt that'll work for every situation.

5. straight shot

Sorry for not being clear, its a milky white discharge from the eye and yes I wash well after takeing care of his needs. I don't want my other rabbits sick. So I take care of him last and wash well afterwards. I have been washing his eye with some E salts and warm water on a cotton ball.

Thanks

6. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like an eye infection. I've never heard of using Epsom salts (I'm assuming that is what you mean) for eye infections. There is another thread entitiled "? baby bunnies" that discusses treatment for eye infections.

Incidentally, by using the Go Advanced button, you will have a chance to preview your post so that you can make sure it is clear to those who want to help you. I find it frustrating to have to either guess what people mean or ask for clarification. Please don't take this as a criticism. When one is worried about a critter, it is easy to dash off an SOS without considering whether the reader can understand it.

Hope bunny is back to normal soon. My first rabbits were in horrible condition when I got them, due to overcrowding and inadequate care. Once we got them in individual cages and improved their nutrition, they blossomed. You should see them now... sleek and sassy and producing terrific babies.

7. straight shot

Yes useing Epsom salts, I had a stray cat that had a bad weepy eye and I was told by a friend to use warm water and Epsom salts to wash it with, why I don't know, but it did work on the cat.

What would be the name brand of some eye ointment? I never can find anyone to help me at out Fleet Farm store.

I have been giving the boy black oil sunflower seeds with his Heinold family formula pellets, and alfalfa. Is there anything else I should feed him to get his coat back in shape? It's dull and he is shedding in clumps.( I see no skin problems ) He must of had a bad life and I want to make him feel and look like a shiny new penny!

8. dunroven

dunroven Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, don't know if this will help or not. Your rabbit could have conjunctivitis and could be cured by some herbs. Here is a link to a web site I found with all sorts of this stuff after I was told that dried raspberry leaves are good for diarrhea in a rabbit and you know what? It is! And they love it!

Hope this works for you too.

http://www.healthypetcorner.com/rabbit2.html

9. BellsBunnies

BellsBunnies Well-Known Member

You can wash his eye with some warm water and then apply some Terrimycian eye gel 3-4 times a day and it should clear up. Your doing great by tzaking care of him last to keep from spreading the infection.