Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I mowed off the winter garden spot to keep anything from going to seed. Next month I'll clean out the hen house to spread the litter on that area then start laying down new mulch on top of what's left from last winter. It'll be October or therebouts before I plant any of it, but I like to give the poultry litter some time to break down first.

Noticed yesterday that by about Wednesday or Thursday I'll be able to start picking the first of the grapes. Tried a couple yesterday, but they're not quite there yet. Found a half-dozen gnawed pears on the ground too so by this weekend I think I'll be able to start picking them too. We're very nearly out of pear sauce so this will be a good thing.

How's the gardening week looking for you folks?

.....Alan.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The kids and I are eating sweet corn everyday for lunch or dinner, along with broccoli, beans, potatoes, and carrots, the watermelon is doing great, about the size of volleyballs now. Time to dig up all the early potatoes, and pick the rest of the sweet corn and pull/shred the stalks, plant the fall pea crop in its place.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Peas are finishing up. Tomatoes are ripening up in ones and twos now and will be blasting in larger numbers in August with the return of warmer weather later this week (forecasted anyway!). Corn is tassled and ears are forming. Pole beans and first round of bush beans are flowering and setting the first beans. Kidney and Navy beans are podded up and getting larger. Eating swiss chard, onions, beets, carrots, cabbage, peas (last of them), celery, tomatoes, strawberries, raspberries, and potatoes.

Fall crops of beets, carrots, parsnips, leeks, brocolli, brussel sprouts, and winter cabbages are doing well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tomorrow is my picking day. Tomatoes. cumcumbers, squash, ptoatoes, kohlorabi, peppers, it all looks good after that good rain we needed. This time i will load up the van stop at the health food store and see what I can sell them then maybe the mexican resteraunt to sell the hot peppers. I am determined to come home empty handed, next picking I can, freeze, or dry. Does everyones kitchen look as messy as mine does for the next couple months. But it is all worth it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I know what you mean, ladygreen...Cukes & corn sitting on this counter, toms in the windowsill, kidney beans on that counter. The dehydrator is taking up a goodly amount of room, and right now, I just can't even look at the rest of my house (OOO!).

·
Registered
431 Posts
Tomatos are coming in, cukes are starting,( I got them in late) yellow squash in abundant. Good thing we all like it a lot. Mexican bean beetles are getting at the Italian pole beans. I keep squishing and they keep coming back. Broccoli is ready :dance: so I will pick some for dinner tonite.J

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hope everyone is having a nice gardening week so far! Sounds like everyone is eating fresh and good. My favorite time of summer-fresh picked veggies/fruits and watching those hummingbirds on my back porch with a bowl of ice cream. It doesn't get much better for me! Hotter than the hubs of hades today, going to get more hot and humid as the week goes by. But sweatin, it's good for the body and soul, just so I don't give out!

Green beans are slowing down, I'm all finished canning those, but still have some of the Tenderettes for fresh eating.

Planted a couple rows of peas.

Maters, cukes, squash plentiful. Been eating brussel sprouts. Still harvesting late flat dutch cabbage. Getting some peppers but still waitin on the Big Berthas. (I need these for my spaghetti sauce)

Sweet corn-my favorite. It's getting real close. I picked just 4 ears so far. Just enough to wet my appetite, not nearly enough to satisfy!!! Have to wait a few more days and it should be coming on. Those first ears-it's heaven. I have a coon messin in my shed. So far, not in the gardens, (electric fence around them) but the gardens aren't too far from sheds. I sure hope I don't have a showdown with the coon. I really try and work around the wildlife, I have a respect for the critters. Praying the fence holds out, but if coon gets between me and my sweet corn, it ain't going to be a pretty sight. I just hope I'm on the winning end! :rolleyes: I have a white German Shepherd that does a great job, but it's pretty hard to catch a coon when she is stretched out in bed snoring. But she's happy, so I guess I am. :)

Better go, everybody have a great week! Eat good. Take Care.

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Diane, sounds like me--even down to the White German Shepard I used to have! But I just cant resist--why do you give the humming birds ice cream?
My heirloom tomatoes are so slow ripening! can never get a canner full from almost 100 plants, never again. Sweet relish all up--may make one more batch. Making noodles for the freezer while hens are laying good. trying to wind up most of the canning before Sept, when I have surgery on my right hand!
Have a Good Garden Day!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Starting to get cherry tomatoes regularly.
Ants are eating the zucchini and okra, such as it is.
Lots of blossoms on the canteloupe and one wee fuzzy green fruit
Planted fall garden but nothing's sprouted yet.
Harvested the amaranth.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hi Ceresone! Sounds like we have much in common! I hope your heirloom tomatoes speed up and ripen so you can get them canned before your surgery. I hope your hand surgery goes well and you have a speedy recovery. You'll be in my thoughts.

Those hummers are fun to watch!! I have hummingbird feeders hanging off my porches and lots of flowers, so they really flock in. I haven't had to share my ice cream with them yet. :)

BTW-was able to pick more corn this evening. :dance: The corn is coming on faster than I thought.

Everybody take care and stay cool! (hot and humid today)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts