Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's too hot to garden!

Looks like I'm going to have to start irrigating today. It's been a couple of weeks now since we had any significant rain and with the temperatures going into the mid-nineties and above the soil moisture is fast disappearing.

I don't even want to think about prepping the fall garden just yet.

Really need to do some weeding out in the orchard too then put down some fertilizer. It's supposed to be somewhat cloudy this coming weekend so maybe I'll be able to get it done then.

How's the gardening week looking for you folks?

.....Alan.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
This is my 3rd year gardening and I'm starting to get the hang of it :)

This morning I picked some more green beans and yellow wax beans. I have been picking zucchini also every couple of days. I am excited! The tomatoes are finally starting to ripen and I have Connecticut Fields and Cinderella Pumpkins growing good :)

I do have more weeding to do but it has been hot and humid without much rain. Thank God for irrigation ditches :)

I am starting to make pans for next year's garden now that I have learned what NOT to do and what TO do :)

Oh I have also harvested some Banana Peppers and made Banana Pepper mustard.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Way to go, Tirzah. Isn't it great when you start to get the hang of it, and are already looking forward to new things next year?

As a contrast to florida, we are having a record wet August--we've had over 11 inches of rain already, mostly in the last week! It's very strange to have the lawn growing so fast this time of year! With a lack of sun for so many days, my tomatoes have slowed down a bit, but that was kind of good as I needed a break from canning--plus I have applesauce to make this week.

Started a new raised bed for next year--scored some cheap lumber at our local habitat store and made an 8 x 4 bed, and have been filling with grass clippings and some extra dirt from an excavation project. Will compost with leaves and misc. all fall and winter and should have a decent patch by spring.

Cukes are pretty much pooped out, but I have new sprouts of chard and lettuces coming up. Eggplants are steadily producing and peppers too.

On a negative note, the %[email protected]#%$ squirrels and chipmunks ate ALL my pears AND popcorn though. Next year is war, I tell you! :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
lol Peace ss about your *@$(@)([email protected] # varments.

Well this year I have declared war as I had a HUGE iris garden shhhh about 2000 or so
Anyone want to trade?? the weeds and grass got away from me and was just AWFUL AWFUL i say fescue to my belly!! and I got some straw from a gentleman down the street to line the bottom of nesting boxes and coop floor and when i put it on my garden for composting WEED SEEDS EVERYWHERE pigsweed? i think awfulll have been pulling it all summer. since i live in idaho zone 4 last frost this year was June 14 everything is always late and hardly get to harvest anything. before frosting (which may happen tonight as temps are 39 tonight. BUT yehawwwww bought me a green house this year and bought MANY seeds lol did i say MANY??? Got wonderful varieties i hope new things i have never planted sorham and broom corn green stripe tomatoes lemon tomatoes siberian tomatoes many diff and old heirloom varities of green beans So excited. So have been tilling the ground raking roots out till again repeat process till you cannot bend over or stand up straight. everything will be covered with 4-6" of grass and straw for spring planting am also hoping to get garden shed finished this year as well. whewwwwwwwwwwwww.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Pretty much the same ole thing around here again this week. Still harvesting and working up the corn, tomatoes, and peppers. Watermelon and cantaloupe eating is here. I did freeze some melon. Still breaking off brussel sprouts. Only thing new is picked some elderberries that were ready along the creek bank. I've got them in the fridge. I think I am just going to freeze them. I'll juice them up this winter and make jelly.

Oh Lordy it was hotter than... It read 95 on back porch. I felt zapped. We got a pond and I dove in it this evening. I haven't swam in that pond for ages. I splashed and war-hooped like an idiot. It was refreshing. Just what I needed.

I was planning on digging the potatoes but it's too hot. It is just going to have to wait for cooler temps. Monday will start cutting second hay. I wanted to try and get the hay done this week but there were thunderstorms in forecast and we just didn't want to chance it. Should finish by Wedneday afternoon. I hope we don't get any frog-stranglers between Monday and Wednesday of next week.

Hope everyone is well and if you are fall-planting, good luck with it. :) Take Care.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had to hurriedly harvest the butternut squash today as I realized the blasted squirrels were eating them. Lost five good sized fruit and have nine or ten more with bites out of them. I don't have time to sit around waiting on a shot, but I do believe I'm going to get some of those little live traps for this winter and see if I can't make a pot or two of pilau.

Supposed to get a good rain today as that low pressure system moves in, but so far it's all to the north or south. We'll see.

.....Alan.

·
keep it simple and honest
3,810 Posts
Winter squash has been looking good up until a few days ago when downy mildew rolled in. It affected, so far, only one variety...buttercup. The extension agent told me that if the fruit was anywhere near mature, I'd still get a harvest. Hope it doesn't get to the others...carnival (acorn type), delicata, butternut and spaghetti, as I am planning on them for my CSA.
Powdery mildew on my second planting of zucchini which just started producing about two weeks ago.
Good potatoes this year...not quite the amount of beans I'd expected, but the last planting should be ready in another week or so. Tomatoes are finally beginning to turn a little...a few peppers also that were eaten early by the woodchuck, and no eggplants (also woodchuck gourmet food). Chinese cabbage looks good...more people should try it.
Ann

·
Registered
626 Posts
Tomatoes are on... need to do another canner load again today. Corn ears are filling out. Green beans are in high gear as well.

Pulled the dill and hung it to finish drying in the shop. Pulled all the walla walla onions that had topped over some time ago and put them on the floor of the greenhouse to finish the initial drying out phase.

Planted a 4'X4' section of opened up garden in spinach for this fall. I will plant another 4'X8' section next week. Fall beets and carrots are really doing well. They should both be reasonably sized before the days get too short and stop growth altogether.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.