Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's too hot to garden.

I really needed to say that. When the thermometer goes past 95 and the humidity is doing it's best to match it then all gardening ambition just melts right out of me.

But the garden chugs on. The okra is loving the heat as are the peppers. The Success variety summer squash are still growing. Very slowly but still making at least a little squash. I've never seen a summer squash that makes running vines the way it does. The muscadines are getting bigger and bigger and pasture pear trees look like they'll give me enough for pear sauce this year. The citrus that set fruit this year looks like will have a nice bit of fruit given the relative youth of the trees.

I'm starting to think about what I'm going to plant in the cool season garden, but it'll be another two months before I do anything about it.

How's the gardening week looking for you folks?

.....Alan.

·
Registered
221 Posts
We will have to start watering. Tomatoes and Cukes need it. The experiment with Prene seems to be working great. Our sweet corn variety, Silver Queen, is taking a long time to finish the ears. Everything else seems to be doing wonderfully. Mixed emotions today; we need rain but the guy cutting my hay wants to start today.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Temps up to a hundred already; power went off yesterday 5 times.
Still as you say the garden keeps chugging along. The beans are late producing, have a ton of blooms and little 1.5 – 2” beans, same with the cucumbers. Habaneras are almost ready and the bell peppers are loaded with half dollar size fruit. The tomatoes are the same size as the peppers and just as green. Onions need to be pulled but I think I’ll wait until the heat wave passes. Normally I pull the onions and let them lay a day or two before bunching – probably would cook in this weather. I have picked a few prolific straight neck squash, but the green tints are not producing yet. Been picking the lovage and drying it for using this winter and still picking a handful of strawberries here and there. Waiting for the blackberries to ripen, the vines are loaded with fruit as are the grape vines. The peach trees have not been taken care of since last spring yet it looks like I will be canning my own peaches again this year (late frost hit them last year and I ended up buying a bushel).

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Cold front finally moving through after the heat. Very windy, knocked some of my tomato cages over this morning so trying to stand them up again. Picked banana peppers - will have them with my lunch.

·
Premium Member
4,283 Posts
Looks like it will be 100 again today only with higher humity than yesterday - whoopie! I cannot stand the heat. DH had to go out and and harvest at 5.30am to beat the heat. The drought continues - no rain again this week.

Zucchini and cukes are just pumping out fruit, but the tomatoes simply won't turn. The okra is loving life. Our beans are late too. The leeks are huge, might do an early harvest of those. Deer took out another patch of chard. Sweet potatoes are getting big. Raspberries are ripe but I have to be quicker, DS11 always gets there first. He came in yesterday and said "The peppers are good, I just ate one" - guess it's time to harvest those!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Can't complain too much about the weather here. We've had hot days (90s) but cold fronts move through every few days to break the heat. Not much rain, but enough (though I've been watering in between on the hot days).

We have TONS of peppers (jalapenos, pepperoncinis, and even a few sweet peppers getting big already). My tomatoes are loaded but I am very ancy for a ripe one! Anyone try putting red around them to get them started? I'm sure in another month I'll be wishing they weren't ripe! Ha ha.

My beets are ready to pic--good sized, we've eaten half the cabbages, and have harvested several heads of broccoli, with side shoots starting too. My eggplants have overcome the flea beetles (and have nice beneficial spiders etc. helping me out there) and are blooming, but no fruit yet. LOTS of cucumbers coming, I think by later this week I can make a small batch of pickles.

But my happy news is garlic! Check this out! My best year ever (after a few duds too)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
holeymoley
That's what I said! :)

I honestly think it's mostly luck, as we've had good weather and everything is larger than normal this year. But, here's what I did:

Planted mid-October. 4 x 4 raised bed, well-fed established spot (lots of worms) where my pumpkins were previously--so not a lot of weeds. I planted probably 40ish cloves (~4" apart), and mulched with lots of grass and chopped up fall leaves, and covered with chicken wire to keep the squirrels out. One back row didn't come up (hmm, did the wire go that far?) and one row in the middle was kind of puny...

I also got fresh stock to plant. I think it was a few heads from the farmers market (organic) and a few cultivated heads from Jung's. Last year I used organic grocery store garlic, and between that and a weedy bed I had a non-harvest. So I guess I was due a good year :)

804 Posts
Corn finally ready, 1 hour from garden to table boiled. Don't remember the variety but, yellow and white kernals. DELICIOUS!

·
Registered
102 Posts
got my first/only harvest for the year!!!

7 october beans from 3 pods. whoo! the deer ate everything to the ground, but i had two bean plants than sat relativly low low low to the ground.

corn, has fuzzies on the top of it (never grown corn before...) that ants seem to like the fuzzies, but its all still waist high so I hold no hope of them producing any ears.

everything in the garden this year is super stunted and I dont know why.. gonna try and turn lots of straw into the ground over winter and charge it up with compost and let it sit till spring I think..

·
Registered
343 Posts
100+ here and I was out of town for a couple of days so I watered good before I left and watered this morning.

Something is eating the skin on the zucchini, as well as the zucchini leaves.

One of the wee pumpkins looks sad but I couldn't examine it due to the sprinklers being on.

All the lettuce is bolted and going to seed.

I see only one lonely bean seedling up. I'm going to harvest the amaranth to keep it from blocking the water, if that's the problem.

The herbs I planted in the herb garden have all died; I'm going to re-weed and then plant seeds.

Still want to plant Jerusalem artichokes.

Should check on harvesting garlic and onions.

Handful of strawberries ripe. Couple of blackberries ripe. I actually got one lone apricot last week. Raspberries seem to have dried in the husk.

Weeded last week and found the okra and a couple of carrots.

Some of the basil died.

Cherry tomatoes but no big ones yet. They seem to be growing very slowly.

Lots of amaranth. :)

Epazote is doing well. Tomatillo doing well. Oregano is its usual hedge.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I dug my first potatoes ever last night! I have a pretty small garden, and never thought to try potatoes. A friend gave me a few extra seed potatoes--what fun! a little 2 x 3 bed and I probably got 5 pounds of potatoes--all sizes! :baby04:

I think I may need to build a few new beds...ahh that way lies madness! :)

And....my first brandywine tomatoe is turning faintly pink. I swear it's not my imagination!

·
Registered
491 Posts
My garlic isn't as big as that but it's mighty good. I only planted 4 cloves of elephant garlic and I won't repeat that mistake next year. It is SO good! And the regular garlic tossed with olive oil and my rosemary, wrapped in aluminum foil and cooked on the grill makse for some mighty fine eating. My new potatoes are wonderful. I have not had any home-grown potatoes since I left the farm in my youth. Dig, rinse off, cook - how cool is that?

I had never had fennel before but I planted 5 this year. Another mistake I won't repeat (how much bigger do I need to make my garden???). They are sublime with fresh salmon grilled on the BBQ. I'm drying the ferns for an herb - nothing to waste! Some cabbage heads are about 4-5 inches across. Sauerkraut isn't far away (I made tons last year and love it!). The tomatoes and peppers are starting to ripen! The marionberries are producing faster than I can pick them! Just 5 plants will supply everything we need for jams and fresh eating.

Night before last, I gave my mosquito fish in my pond a nibble of food about 8:30pm. I love watching them come when they see me approaching. The next morning, my husband woke me up at 5:30 telling me that the pond was dry and the pump was complaining. Sure enough, virtually all the water and the fish were gone. :Bawling: The only thing left was about 4 inches in the bottom.

There is no sign of a leak but I haven't looked too closely. What is puzzling is that we have a hard clay layer so it would be difficult to impossible for ~550 gallons of water to seep into the surrounding soil in less than 9 hours. The only thing I can figure is global warming or a fissure that opened up and allowed the water to pour out. Interesting, we did have a small earthquake in the area the night before. :shrug:

I had a raccoon visit last night. He aerated the compost pile. Is there anything it will bother other than corn?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Sorry to hear about your pond fretti.

Our snap peas are in heavy production right now and we are eating alot of those along with fresh onions, new potatoes, swiss chard, carrots, beets, and romaine lettuce. Finished up the spring plantings of kale, kohlrabi, brocolli, and the cabbages about two weeks ago.

Planted out at the first part of July the fall crops of brocolli, brussel sprouts, and fall cabbages. About a week later I direct seeded a large section of carrots and beets that will be our fall/overwintered patch. At the same time I planted another big section of bush beans... which is just another succession planting using the spaces opened up from the spring crops.

Tomatoes are loaded on the Fantastics (in the greenhouse) and on the Oregon Beaverlodge Slicers (determinate variety) which are out in the main gardens. I expect to have ripe tomatoes to begin using around the first of August at this pace. The brandywines are flowering profusely and are sturdy beautiful plants - but are not setting fruit. I love this variety - but I must reconcile myself that I will not be able to grow them here at our new location like I did in central Washington - where it was a hotter longer summer season. Here it is milder all year - but cooler and more cloudy on average. I will not be planting these again on this property and am tempted to just pull up the existing plants to make room for something more productive. I hate to do it though... but the rational part of me knows it does not have enough time left to set and ripen big beefsteak tomatoes now, however, the emotional part of me hates to give up on it! :)

Peppers in the greenhouse are flowering and so are the kidney and navy beans. Patty pan squash is just setting some fruit - so it will be very soon for those too. Pole beans and first planting of bush green beans are also flowering. Dill is beautiful and smells heavenly - grew a dwarf variety this year and I am really liking it. Corn patch was slow to get started due to a coolish spring - but with the recent heat it has taken off - almost as tall as I am now and I can see the tassles starting to form.

Slugs are my biggest pests in this garden area - and I was doing pretty good at keeping them at bay until the first part of July and for some reason they just seemed to start overwhelming me then. I have redoubled my picking efforts and seem to have at least stabilised the situation. My crop failure this year was the cukes... they were just non-starters in the area I had them planted. I am going to have to break down and purchase some at the farmers market to make my dill pickles.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Scott in Florida Panhandl said:
Corn finally ready, 1 hour from garden to table boiled. Don't remember the variety but, yellow and white kernals. DELICIOUS!
ohhhh yes... fresh picked corn is something I long for these days...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts