Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like it won't be long before I'll be processing pears. I found the first couple of coon and squirrel eaten fruit in the yard which tells me they're just about ready.

The grapes are looking good this year too as are the citrus. No more ant problems (so far).

The vegetable garden desperately needs weeding, but I'm going to be at least a week before I can get to it.

How's the gardening week looking for you folks?

.....Alan.

·
Retired US Navy
111 Posts
Oh boy, here in Western WA we have had rain for a number of days now, ....hope my tomato plants don't come down with any diseases?

My corn is standing above my head, and my tomatoes are showing tomatoes as well!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I think we're all too busy harvesting this week! It's very dry here but hopefully we'll get some rain tonight. I've been watering every couple of days, just the garden (Why do people water grass? You just have to mow then, ha ha)

Tomatoes are coming in nicely, I'm at that delusional point where I think there might not be enough for canning (watch for this next week when I'm overwhelmed with tomatoes coming out my ears!).

I made my first ever sweet relish from our own cukes, onions, and peppers. Tastes really good and will get better with age I suspect. First eggplants are getting to a good size, and plenty of peppers for various dinners. I have to admit I admired my last couple of cabbages too long and they got goopy inside. Well, the chickens liked them!

And, as a final note, EWWWW. I finally picked up a japanese beetle trap when they started to do big damage to my apples. After 24 hours it's so full I'm afraid of it. I could feed them to "the girls" but I think even they would be grossed out!

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
ok pulled up my tomatoes, and planted some corn today in fact, and planted okra on saturday...have my fall green beans (or late summer I guess you could say) up and some are blooming already...also planted some fall zuchinni..hoping the stinking squash borers dont get them..I only got one yellow squash off my spring squash..

ohh and got some fish emulsion and put some on the garden............shewwwwwwwwwwwwie it smells..

~C~

·
Registered
185 Posts
Have been picking and eating: sweet corn, green beans, lettuce, swiss chard, broccoli, potatoes(red,white,yukon), zucchini, onions(red,white,yellow), all week. Grocery bill was low today, almost half of usual.

We finally had a decent rain, first in many weeks to actually fall on our place, little over an inch in the bucket, from dawn to noon, nice and slow soaking rain, so I'll be busy weeding in a couple weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts