Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of gardening at the Hagan household this last weekend there was none. It started thundering Saturday morning before we were finished with breakfast and for the next two days it would rain every half hour to an hour for five or ten minutes then stop until the next time. We received two and two tenths inches over the two days which was much appreciated. It didn't take long for me to grow tired of being wet though so I did inside stuff once the chicken tractor had been moved and all the necessary weekend chores were finished. Study the sky, take your best guess as to when you'll be able to run and get feed and get rained on coming home anyway...

I need to tear out the old squash and tomato vines then do some serious hoeing around the peppers and okra. Naturally the grass is loving all the rain so the dooryard needs mowing again. Really need to fertilize the orchard and blueberries again too.

How's the gardening week looking for you folks?

.....Alan.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Weeding and watering today, despite the stormclouds to the NW, green beans-bush, swiss chard, zucchini harvesting this week also. Since the current growth of swiss chard got away from me, I'll cut and freeze it for cooked dishes, and the smaller tender growth will go in the fridge for salads. The zucchini will be shredded, packed into 2cup bags, then frozen for cold weather baking. The black raspberries seem to winding down, lack of rain I think, so I'll pick what is still plump and freeze for now, mulberries and rhubarb will get the same treatment.

This sounds like a good time to start fall crop of peas,broccoli, and such so I'll give that a try as well, see what happens.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I made mashed garlic potatoes from the yard for lunch! Garlic, onion, and all-blue potatoes. A bit gooey in texture--I think the all blues maybe are suboptimal for mashing--any suggestions on where they really shine?

I'll have to try the russets next time.

Tire-method of growing, modified because I didn't hill them early enough.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I pulled some shallots today

Passed out cucumbers at the homeschooling picnic yesterday

Yellow squash are about 5 inches long
All other squashes are coming

Okra is coming on

Beans are getting taller

Peas are dying down & drying out

Swiss chard still going nuts, as usual

I have ONE eggplant, ONE parsnip, and SIX carrots coming on - THAT'S IT
ugh

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
tomatoes are ripening, green beans (2nd growing, I pulled up the ones that quit blooming and replanted two small rows) thinking about planting some more squash have lbeen doing some research about how late I can plant here in my state my first squash got borers I only got one squash off three plants..only I have yellow squash seed and I prefer zucchini squash..also wondering how late I can plant potatoes, although I did see some potato plants have come up in my compost pile..so I may just watch those..
~C~

·
Registered
881 Posts
It's been quite busy around here. Tomatoes are coming in great guns and yesterday I roasted and reduced 5 pounds and today I canned the paste in 6 half pints. Lots of cucumbers, squash and onions went into 17 pints of mixed sweet pickles. 6 pounds of jalapenoes made 15 half pints of candied jalapenos. Also canned 7 quarts of cornish hens yesterday and 7 more today.....the last canning load is coming out in a few minutes and.....my feet hurt ;)

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
Today at work I traded summer squash - which I have loads of - for a head of cabbage and some sweet corn. I think I got the better end of that deal.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Finished hoeing all the sweet corn yesterday, was able to get out this morning before work and rake it up, got a few rows tilled. We got some temp. fencing up around the maters and sweet taters so maybe we'll actually get some despite the geese. Tomorrow before work I'll set more sweet taters, plant beet and if there's any time left go back to tilling corn.

804 Posts
Everything has just about played out except the okra and peppers. Matter of fact, I'm about played out too. Ready for Fall.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scott in Florida Panhandl said:
Everything has just about played out except the okra and peppers. Matter of fact, I'm about played out too. Ready for Fall.
Add sweet potatoes to the list and that's my garden as well.

Which is OK. July and August is my torpid time of year. I'm doing good if I can keep the grass mowed.

.....Alan.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hello! Hope everyone is having a good week and weather is cooperating. I'm like Farmerwilly2 and keeping my sweet corn hoed around. With the recent rains, it's looking good. Trying to keep the green beans picked and canned with all the other stuff. I've got another row of beets that need worked up now. Been eating messes of brussel sprouts. We are getting a few ripe tomatoes now. They seems to really be coming on. I would say by next week I will be making spaghetti sauce. The hot banana peppers and Gypsy peppers are doing well and I have picked some of those. The sweet green peppers (Big Bertha) are slow this year. I won't be picking for quite a while on these.

My sweet potatoes are poor this year. I always plant 3 50' rows. I think the real dry weather in May really put the hammer on them. If I can get at least 1/2 of what I normally do, I'll be happy. Just afraid I'm not going to even get that. The other potatoes have done well.

I thoroughly enjoy eating out of the garden. I never take it for granted.
Hoping everyone is enjoying your gardens and that fresh food. It's heaven.

Have a good rest of the week!!! Take care.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Still no blossoms on the potatoes.
Tomatoes are skimpy.
No blossoms on the eggplants.
Peppers are skimpy.
Getting a fair number of zukes.
I have a nice sized pumpkin.
Not sure what's happening with the okra.
Need to start planting the fall stuff.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Back to the top. I know some of your more northern folks are going hot and heavy in your gardens now. Tell us about it!

The going is hot in my garden just now too, but in a different sense of the word.

.....Alan.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
My garden is producing beautifully this year, although I just discovered squash vine borers again. :help:

I'm zone 6 in MA so my peas are done and I just pulled my beets. My beans were eaten by the groundhog next door, so I have lots of space now in my garden. I've decided to try a fall garden. So I replanted peas, beans, beets, carrots, parsnips and inside started more broccoli and cabbage. I'm very curious to see how it will go.

Heather

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hope everyone had a good gardening week. The weather has been absolutely beautiful here the last couple of days. I missed the beautiful weather yesterday because I was in the basement canning all day. But by golly, I sure have enjoyed the sunshine today!

Got that last rows of beets canned yesterday, along with some more pickles and green beans. We ate our last mess of peas last night. I sure did enjoy those fresh peas. I ripped out all the pea plants now. I need to till up those rows and replant with something else. I may just put peas back in them, you can't have too many peas! Not just sure yet.

All the vining plants are up and running like crazy: the cantaloupes, watermelon, and pumpkins. They are setting on some good sized fruits. I want to make some watermelon wine. Never done that before, going to try it. My husband asked me what in the world I was going to do with all those watermelon. Well, I plan on eating a bunch, the hogs/pigs will get some but I guess if the wine turns out, I will probably drink a bunch of them! :) They won't be ready until about mid August.

Should have corn in about a week or so. Can't wait to bite into it. Haven't had to water anything for about 2 weeks. That has been real nice!!!

Everybody Take Care.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Spent a little time this afternoon and turned all the compost piles. Moved and repiled the most finished bins to do the last little bit of decomposing. Moved the bin frames from that pile to another section of the property so we can begin using them as soon as the last bin of the current 3 bin station is full up (soon!). We have had tremendous rain for the past several days - so everything is quite well watered - but it is also very humid outside working today as a result.

Greenhouse tomatoes are ripening up - the first to turn color is almost ready to be picked. Following on their heels is the outside determinate plants. Harvested a large head of purple cabbage this afternoon along with onions and yukon gold potatoes. Dinner tonight is roasted chicken leg quarters, creamy purple cabbage coleslaw, and cheesy scalloped potatoes.

I need to harvest romaine lettuce and swiss chard tomorrow and make a large salad with some chopped green onions in it. Peas are producing heavily and we are eating them about every third day to stay on top of it. Corn is tassling. Peppers are setting fruit in the greenhouse. Fall crops are coming along. First of the green beans will be ready to pick in less than two weeks.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
My tomatoes are coming in at a pretty good clip--hoping to get some before we move :( I've gotten at least one zuchini, with three or four more coming in the next week and about a dozen cukes in the past week. The herbs are doing well--parsley, thyme and basil being used all the time. I have one jalapeno plant with a load of peppers (I keep picking them) and some Italian hots out front. My flowers are doing okay, with my marigolds bushing up like you-know-what! I keep picking off the dead heads, and have almost a Mason quart jar full of heads to break into seed for wherever we are.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts