Weekend Hunters!!!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by havellostmywings, Oct 17, 2004.

1. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

ARGH!!!

We live on some land that was subdivided years and years ago... sold in 10 to 20 acre parcels. Well, only a few of us actually live out here... most of the land is held for whatever purpose...

Well Now I know what purpose it has been held for. The past two weekends, the owners of these pieces of overgrown property have show up... they cut down some high grass.. park their campers, break out their atv's and make noise for the next 48 hrs.

They bring their dogs with them, which bark all night, which makes MY dogs bark all night. They have been driving up and down the road all night long on these atv's. friday night we heard them shooting, which I am going to assume is only target practice. Or there are some dead armadillo's and possum over there.

Now... until we bought this piece of property. No one ever lived on it.. The gentleman who owned was considered quite eccentric by the others around here. He would run a few cows on it... and come up at christmas time and cut down some small cedars for christmas trees. but pretty much it just set here.
    well These hunters have been almost breaking their necks trying to see back in here since we are living here. We have been leaving our gate open and unlocked but the past couple of nights the way these folks have been staring in here, we decided to lock it up.

we sit 180 feet back from the road.. so its not easy to see in, especially around the oak trees and cedar trees. but i am really getting tired of them staring in.

How do you handle these weekenders in your neck of the woods?

Lynn in Texas
    PS The only upside, if you can consider it an upside, has been our aluminum can collection is way up, since they dont care and throw them everywhere...

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...................Isn't it Nice to have former "Eagle Scouts" as your immediate neighbors!! My little 5 acre tract here in the country is part of a larger community and I knew without Being Told that it wouldn't be very smart to engage in target practice with my 30-06, which by the way , I can legally shoot if I so choose . Some folks don't use good sense about how they conduct themselves NOR do they Care if their behavior offends their neighbors . People who have been raised up in the country will usually conduct themselves with an attitude that demonstrates their awareness of the rights of their neighbors and will act accordingly . They (your boyscouts) will get their come uppance in some form or fashion and usually it will hit them when they least expect "it" . ...fordy... :eek: :)

3. I wouldn't worry too much. I'm one of those hunters who like to drive around and stare on other peoples property also. All I'm doing is just seeing what kind of wildlife is on the ajoining property surrounding the property I have permission to hunt on. If I see more deer on the property to the west side of my hunt area then I try to place my tree stand or blind on the west side of my area in hopes of a better chance. It doesn't neccessarily mean I'm gonna trespass without your permission.

4. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

Maybe post a sign at the end of the drive that says If you can read this smile and wave because one of our camra's have you on tape! Have a good day. It will make them stop and think before trying to come on your property to hunt.

5. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

As long as they aren't coming on to your property or shooting towards your house/animals I'd say ignore them. If they come on your property (assuming it is properly posted) I would politely ask them to hand over their weapons (For some reason this happens when I ask people. Guess it must be my looks <G>). If they come on your property and fire in your general direction then you have every right to defend yourself.

You need to follow the law. If you are careful you can deal with these situations without breaking the law.

In another thread people raised the question as to why anyone would want an AK-47.... this is a perfect example of a situation where people tend to get real polite if you have one. It doesn't really make a lot of difference functionally but if you have a 75 or 100 round drum clip on it folks seem to decide that it must be full auto instead of semi. If it is early morning or late in the day (when it isn't too light) a tracer or two can be mighty impressive. Unfortunately they run $1.50 a round. I was at the gun show yesterday and they had armor piercing/high explosive rounds (7.62x39). I didn't get any as they were $10 a round.

Gun season is a lot worse than bow season around us, but over time people have learned that trespassing on our place is unwise.

I don't understand why people can't respect other peoples property. We value our privacy and other than the folks we invite we don't like random folk wandering our property.

As usual, just my 2 cents.

Mike