Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello I have a week old baby doe here. I got her about 3 days ago. She has been getting goat milk from one of my other does 4 times a day. 6-8 ounces worth. She has taken the bottle good till now. She has not eaten since 6 am , over 18 hours ago. She doesn't want to drink, but is still bouncing around and playful. Temp is normal. Eyelids and gums are pink, not pale but could be darker in color. She has peed but not pooped that I seen today. She sometimes grinds her teeth, but it looks more like cud chewing. She does nibble down hay. I've never had a baby this young chew cud but it definitely doesn't look like the normal teeth grinding in pain . I am very confused by this baby. My first boer cross. Her horn nubs are starting to come in. Is it possible she's gone off feed due to teething or horns coming in? I am used to dairy goats.... her behavior on a daily has been so different from any I've raised before I'm just not sure what to think with this one. She will stretch like a cat for back rubs and lay/roll on your hand when you rub her sides or belly. She will also reach for her tail and suck on it/nip the fur down. Just some of her weird different quirks. Should I worry yet about the bottle situation? No known background history other than boer parentage.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Just for clarification - you got her at 4 days old - do you know if she got colostrum within her first few hours?

Is it possible she's nursing off your other doe and decided a new adopted momma is better than a bottle?

Had you weighed her - and could weigh her again to see if she's gaining or losing weight?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just for clarification - you got her at 4 days old - do you know if she got colostrum within her first few hours?

Is it possible she's nursing off your other doe and decided a new adopted momma is better than a bottle?

Had you weighed her - and could weigh her again to see if she's gaining or losing weight?

The other does aggressively butt her away, they do not accept her as their own. She drank about 8 ounces this morning again. She is playing as she did yesterday. I can weigh her. She did get colostrum, she was a large single born kid to an older doe.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Good news about the bottle and the colostrum. If she shies away from the bottle again, you can try putting a tiny bit of karo syrup or molasses on the nipple. Sometimes that's enough to get them reinterested.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If she is acting normal in every other way, I’m betting that one of your other does is letting her nurse, so she is full and doesn’t want the bottle. You might see them butting her away, but you probably aren’t watching them 24/7. I had triplets lose their mother a few years ago and they ended up nursing off the other mothers who normally would butt kids that weren’t their own. Could’ve knocked me over with a feather.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts