Weeds in sidewalk cracks.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by dlangland, Jul 21, 2005.

1. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

My mother came to visit a week and 1/2 ago...oh sorry, mom...what a bum thing that when we ran into town we just plain forgot to buy weed spray. I don't believe in chemicals as previously stated. Little things like that, I don't have time to worry about. And there wer ornge/red marigold seedlings in bloom popping up right in my new old sidewalk and all along the crack rof the cemente right under my front door. Well, my mother became obcessed or bored and pulled them ll while my dad and I were doing electrical wiring. I thought, wha do they hurt? I remember reading in magazines and books, non-chemical things to use...things right out of your own kitchen. Problem is, I can't remember what have read when I need to. My mind is just blank, and all my books are still packed up. I seem to remember vinegar, hot water...hey, these are too industrious for the bleach water from wall washing before painting that I through on them...I truly appreciate how very everyone on this site is. Thank you.

2. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

My mom has saltillo tile on her front porch and has a bright pink petunia growing out of a crack! We marvel every week that it is still alive and thriving.

If you want to kill weeds organically, I use 20% vinegar. Just be really careful not to get any on you, also watch it on breezy days. You use it when it is hot and dry, like afternoon, and it works well.

hollym

3. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

I had a sunflower grow out of our crack by the stairs to our front porch! I loved it! If you have unwanted grass I take care of mine by dumping my canner full of really hot water over the stepping stone path. Be careful though...it can splash back up on you! I have also used the leftover vinegar/water from pickling and that takes care of grass too! If it is hot it works even better. A tea kettle makes the hot water easier to aim than a canning kettle....so if you have extra from making morning tea....might as well use it to kill the unwanted grass.

4. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

Pour salt on the weeds in the cracks or use rock salt.We used to put rock salt on grassy patches in the drive way.it works with the rain and dew melts the salt slowly and kills the weeds.

5. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

The salt method works well. It's much cheaper to buy the salt in bulk from a produce store - the stuff you give to horses, you know.

Or simply pour boiling water over the weeds. With or without vinegar added.