weeding

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by moonwolf, Jan 10, 2005.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

What's your weeding situation for your gardeing?
    By hand? how often do you keep at it? For your bigger gardens, what arsenal of weeding tools do you actually use that help?

Also, what's the worst kinds of weeds that you have to weed out of your garden?

Sometimes it's easy to give up when weeds get too big, but some of those also benefit by brining up nutrients to benefit roots of garden plants. Like Pigweed we have which I allow a few to grow in corn. Not lots of it, but a few get stuned out by the tall corn plants eventually but still benefit. The problem lies in letting weeds go to seed. :eek:

2. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

One word....Mulch. I have a large garden (45X100) and if I don't mulch everything I can I am in trouble. What seems to work the best is newspaper covered with straw.

When that fails I fall back on my trusty forged head hoe. In areas that I don't mulch I try to keep the soil worked up to kill the weeds as they sprout.

3. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Try groeing in sheet compost and mulching. Weeding is against one of my religions!! :haha: :D

4. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

Creeping Charlie for sure. I hate that stuff. I have to find a different way of doing my garden this year because by the end of the growing season, I'm just worn out from hoeing. I have a small tiller that I use but it likes to give me problems so I find myself using the hoe. We have a huge garden and it's hard to keep up with.
    I think I'm going to have to find a source of straw so I can use the composting technique.
    I love my garden, but sure hate the weeds...
    Leay

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I gave away my weeding tools since I never used them. Mulch. Mulch. Mulch. Best weeding tool I ever found. Worst weed? Bindweed. That stuff will grow ten, twently feet to reach daylight! You have to keep pulling it out and then cover the spot solid with cardboard and mulch. Digging or tilling only spreads it. And my neighbor discovered that it THRIVES on Roundup!

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

You read my mind!

7. diane

diane Well-Known Member

We have two horrible weeds here that we didn't have when I first started gardening. One is a thistle that kind of grows along underground like quack grass and the other looks like a morning glory and is impossible to get out without hurting the plants it climbs if you let it get too big. We mulch a bunch and I have an asian hand plow that I use in my square foot garden and flower beds. It has a long enough point on it that I can grab weeds that are growing through the mulch (like those darn thistles) down at their roots. In the spring I love to hand weed around all my little seedling, but it does get old by the end of the season........especially after I have been busy picking a preserving.

8. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

The bain to my garden existence is horsetail,(don't know botanical name) can't seem to get rid of the awful stuff, comes up through the mulch, grr, nasty weed!

9. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Try newspapers under your mulch.

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Diane, sounds like your morning glory plant IS wild morning glory AKA bindweed. Don't till it. The ONLY way to get rid of it is to strip everything down to ground level and cover it with THICK newspaper and cardboard and mulch. When it pokes thru, just pull all you can get and put down more thick paper, cardboard and mulch. You have to keep doing this till you use up all the stored energy in the root. It will seem like it takes forever, but it is the only method I've ever seen that works.

11. moonwolf

gawd I hate this weed too.
    This indicates acid soil. I have an awful area where this grows. You can try gypsum or bonemeal, wood ashes, compost and such amendments to foil the horsetail from growing. Might help.
    (p.s. when camping some people use the mature stiff horsetails as toothbrushes.no kidding. :haha: )

Quack grass is the worse invasive 'weed' here. That and creeping charlie, thistle. I can usually deal with lambs quarters, purslane and those are easy to pull or cultivate.

12. inc

inc Well-Known Member

horsetail equisetum arvense. the short stuff.
    if you have tall picturesque sporophyte stalks with yellow rings like a short reed, i suggest you let it clump and dig for garden trades.
    was not aware that it wsa a competitive weed- but what do i know.

"One is a thistle that kind of grows along underground like quack grass "
    canada thistle.cirsium,or something, canadensis- partially vegetative, odd for the thistle group. i think it is essentially dioecious so if you have no seeds from it it may be male. one big chopped up into a million cuttings clone.

13. moonwolf

Yup. Canada Thistle. and they can grow about 5 ft. high here producing a seed head the size of a lemon with millions of seed. When small, they root stubbornly and lay flat, so have to dig out or smother. nasty weed, but not as pervasive and intolerable as tackling an invasion of quackgrass or mint.