Weedeater problem

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Jc05, May 3, 2006.

1. Jc05

Jc05 Well-Known Member

I have a weedeater brand weedeater, about 5 years old that has had alot of use. Last night, the head kept coming off (I guess its called the head, the part that holds the weedeater cord and cuts, not the motor head) and the cable that goes from the head to the motor would come out. I don't see any way that the head was attached. I would put it back on and it would run for a few minutes and come off again. I've seen replacement heads, is this all I need? Just wondering if the base of the head is what holds it on and mine is worn out or if its time to buy a new one? Thanks in advance

2. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

usually the cutter heads are attached vis threads, i have a john deere weed cutter that is 25 years old, looked like a weed eater brand at that time, and once inawhile the long grasss would wrap around it causing the flex shaft to stop and the head to spin off the threads....

the only thing i ever needed to do to that old machine has been replace the starter rope and build up the flex shaft after 15 years as it rounded off..... they aint building things like that anymore....

other than the threads holding the spool in place would there be a cotter pin missing? or a roll pin?

William

3. Jc05

Jc05 Well-Known Member

I didnt' see any threads or or places for pins or any other way to hold it in place. The head just kind of snaps in place, or looks like it was supposed to and that is all I can tell that holds it into place. In fairness to it, it has been used hard. I have a steep ditch that takes 45 minutes a week alone, not counting doing the rest of my yard, and then I have to weedeat my moms yard. It was a cheapo as far as weedeaters go, I think about $45.