Weed killers

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tambo, Jan 1, 2007.

1. tambo

tambo Well-Known Member

I want to know what I can put down on the garden before I plant to kill the weeds.

Last year we bought a tiller for the tractor to till the garden.I had the best crop of morning glories you have ever seen.I could not keep up with them and they choked out everything I grew.I guess the tiller brought the weed seeds to the surface.

I know big farmers put something down to kill weeds before they plant.

What can I use?

Tambo

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Pre-emergent weed control depends upon the crop.

As an example you can't put down a broadleaf weed control and the plant broadleaf garden plants like beans.

Pre-emergent grass control works the same way.

You might take a look at a Preen label to see if it would fit your needs. It is readily sold in many stores, Walmart included.

3. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

How about solarising the soil- get it wet, place clear plastic over to heat up and kill top layer stuff? How about mulching with seveeral overlapping layers cardboard under shredded bark or other clean stuff and then planting on top/ digging through small area (I killed off grass this way)?

Don't know how bad morning glory roots are though... some things can survive everything including repeated applications of most chemicals.

4. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

I have used treflan on my guarden. As long as the treflan is not broken up by tilling it is good to keep weeds down. The best way is to put out treflan and let it sit for a while (About 1 week) then plaint the rows without disturbing the rest. The only thing that you need to worry about is that portion of the row that you disturbed. The rest will not have any weeds.

5. Windy in Kansas

6. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

You can try the organic route. Till the garden, water it well, let the weeds sprout, till again. Probably won't do much against morning glory. You could till, water, then spray with Crossbow, repeat until a few weeks before planting. Crossbow is a contact herbicide so won't bother seeds. The ONLY other way is to be out there everyday on hands and knees plucking weeds. Ouch!

7. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Take A flame throewer A K A , A brush burner thru the area and burn the Vegitation off. Or use Cold Steel. If you use cold steel. The benifits are better. You know who did the work. And with the burner you kill the weed seeds.

8. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

I don't like to put down chemicals either so like the propane burner method also. I burn my whole barnyard area and the area between my fence and the road too. It's best to do it twice - late Fall and early summer. That way you don't miss anything.

9. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

You will have a real hard time with this. Many garden items are _very_ sensitive to pre-plant type herbicides. These herbicides typically stay active in the ground for a month or longer. That is nice for a single crop, but for a varried garden, you will be killing (won't sprout...) 1/2 or more of your produce.....

You can look at the label for Select, it is a good grass control product that is labeled for many veggies. Bit it only kills grasses.

Glysophate (Roundup) would be a good one to spray o the green weeds, let stand for a week so it travels to the roots, and then you only have to deal with the new seedlings, the old weeds & roots will be dead. But, this isn't exactly what you want.

I don't know that they make what you want. Controlling broadleaves in a varried garden climate is difficult, without killing the plants you wanted too.

--->Paul

10. Windy in Kansas

Another weed control method I used to use was to roto-till, water and let weeds sprout, then repeat several times thus allowing more of the weed seed to sprout and be killed before planting the actual garden crop. This does delay planting somewhat however.

11. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I was able to get control of weeds in my garden by putting thick mulch on it and planting rows close enough to straddle. By the end of the summer the garden was a jungle of vegetable plants with everything else shaded out.

12. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

I agree with the bit about your potential garden being impacted by earlier herbicide use.

I generally prefer smother crops. You could plant some peas or some hairy vetch to smother anything that might try to get a start in the spring. Then take that out as you try to plant other stuff.

There is also the Ruth Stout method (smother weeds with hay).

I prefer to not till if I can help it. 30% of the humus is released from the soil each time you till. If the soil is more like "dirt", then, yeah, you really do need to till.

What does the soil look like?

Paul Wheaton
    Certified Master Gardener
    Certified Permaculture Designer

13. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

flame weeding till the garden rake it smooth water it then flam everything that comes up only takes a few seconds of flam contact and the water in the weed is boiled

also i use full sheets of news paper atound tomato plants i rip on the fold to the middle then plasc around the plant then do the same from other direction i try to get 4 sheets thick or better then stab cage down through paper

also i have tried using paper feed sacks i cut them down one side and open both ends
    and spead them out in the rows tos about an inch of dirt on top to keep them in place nothing can take root through the thick paper the tip dries out in sun and anything that does sprout wilts

i saw mentioned above the till 3 times method it helps but you will likely need more
    but every time you till you turn up more weed seeds and prep the ground for the ones that land

flaming kills what has sprouted without turning up new soil it is similair to the steaming that they did of tabbacco they would steam the soil around the tabaco plants this would kill grubs and parisites in soil while killing weeds and adding moisture to the soil
    it did not hurt the tabacco plant as they rooted much deeper

i always wanted t try a season of steaming the garden but never had a good way to do it stanly steamer never wanted to loan me a truck and i would have been fin with a truck that had a broken vac but still no no one wanted to donate a truck

so i have been borrowing a freinds weed dragon i need to get my own as soon as it gets in the buget i had dripp irigation on the list for this year

also that brings me to the next topic are you watering your weeds
    most people water with a sprinkler or just wait for rain if you are going to water try getting the water to the plant and nothing but the plant.

ask me this fall i will let you know how irigation went.