Weed kill recipe.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Junkman, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Junkman

Junkman Junkman

Just read in a Farm Show paper the following recipe for killing weeds. Reported to be as good as Round-up. I plan to try it tomorrow (if the rain slacks off.) Of course you want to keep the run off away from flowers and veggies.

4 Cups White Vinegar
    1/4 Cup Salt
    2 teaspoons of dish soap

2. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

Excellent, just wanted a to post a thanks for that, I'm going to try it too. The expense and chemicals in the store bought ones is just too much on both sides lol. :dance:

3. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

OK I've tried this. Now I highly reccomend experimenting with this and similar recipes, however it is not exactly as good as the evil RU. Mine included boiling salt down in water, then adding a significant amount of vinegar. Soap is needed or else it will not stick to the foliage.
    Everything was 'defoliated'. Oxalis and pearlwort were killed 100%. Grass and dandelions were back in a few weeks. The roots were not killed. I figured if you did it a few times it would work for any plant, but I didn't try.
    Remember, this was my own experimenting and it really did knock weeds back well over all. Have fun with it!
    ***And use an old sprayer, or wash it thoroughly as it will rust out any mechanisms/rot out any seals pretty quick!

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Well-Known Member

Any mixture with a high salt percentage will work. The dishsoap makes it stick to the plant better. The salt does the killing.

5. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I just use straight vinegar, but after I mow or cut the weed - the vinegar gets into the cut stem, goes to the roots that way and kills the plant. Works really well on thistle.

6. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you'd really want to use this as i have no idea what type of bleach it is.But Dawn dishing washing liquid with bleach (alternative) added will kill anything apparently.I haven't experimented with it.But mixed a little, maybe two table spoons with a little water to spray a few garden plants with to keep the bugs from eating them.
    Well I'm pleased to report it seems it will kill any type of grass and weed that might be growing around the plant.Not pleased to report it kills Egg plant and wilts the heck out of broccoli.Doesn't bother lettuce or cabbage though. :shrug:

Killed a huge circle of grass in the yard where the suds shot out of the bottle as i filled it with the garden hose.
    Strong stuff!

7. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

we made home made ice cream last weekend for the first time in many years. A few days later there was a patch of dead grass 2 feet in diameter where the freezer sat. Im guessing the salty water from the ice cream freezer killed the grass.