Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to purchase a weed eater and there are quite a few different styles to choose from. I would appreciate some experiences any of you may have had with such a tool and suggestions as to which type might be best for an 80 yr old lady to use.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I have one like this (not exactly, mine a tad older). I like the handles and it has a shoulder sling-thing so it doesn't slip. Easy to start and works like a charm. Weed whacking is my least favorite outdoor activity, so I had to find one that I found easy to use

·
Premium Member
3,015 Posts
An 80 year old lady should have an electric one for sure. If you can find one with the hard plastic cutters instead of trimmer line that breaks and has to be changed all the time, that would make life easier too.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
OK, I'm not 80 yet. But getting close. I have a Stihl FS91 gas. It's big and heavy but I have a harness to wear when using it. My needs go beyond a string trimmer, that's the sole reason I have such a beast. If you can afford Stihl, look at those. My first one lasted 25 years of some very heavy use.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
77 y/o here. I have a Ryobi dual - electric or 18 volt battery. Lightweight, adjustable, not too large. I'm on my second one. This one has lasted for 7 years and is still going strong. Have had to get new batteries though. I wore them out!

Reactions: Gayle in KY

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I got a rechargeable, battery powered Kobalt weedeater for my wife and youngest to use that works quite well. It is reliable, so far. You can't use it for 3 hours straight, but li will work on a small homestead where you aren't walking miles of fence line.

·
Premium Member
10,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sure am grateful for the responses here. Thanks everyone.

I found a RYOBI 40 volt lithium-ion cordless with Ah batter & charger included for $159 at Home Depot. In researching I'm thinking one with a variable speed trigger would work best too. So next time I'm in town will check this one out. The research suggested a "straight" shaft/shank with "standard grade line" and "automatic line-advance" might be good to have too. If I remember correctly it has a lengthy warranty on it too; but will see what Home Depot has in stock.

Comments continue to be welcomed....

·
Registered
94 Posts
We have an Oregon battery operated one that we’ve had for several years. We bought the cartridges and they last a long time and eliminate string threading. We have a big Stihl
, which has been great, but it’s too mischievous for me, I’m a 64 year old woman. Hope that helps. PS, I have the Oregon battery chain saw which has been great for me as well.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Sure am grateful for the responses here. Thanks everyone.

I found a RYOBI 40 volt lithium-ion cordless with Ah batter 7 charger included for $159 at Home Depot. In researching I'm thinking one with a variable speed trigger would work best too. So next time I'm in town will check this one out. The research suggested a "straight" shaft/shank with "standard grade line" and "automatic line-advance" might be good to have too. If I remember correctly it has a length warranty on it too; but will see what Home Depot has in stock.

Comments continue to be welcomed....
I have this weedeater, exactly. I had never used a weedeater before buying this, but I needed it. I taught myself to use it and LOVE it! If you could find a shoulder strap or harness to make carrying it a little easier I would do that. I can do the whole yard at once but it does get kind of heavy after awhile. At your age it would be nice to transfer some of that weight to your shoulders so your arms aren't bearing all the weight.

·
Voice of Reason
52,843 Posts
Weedeaters drive me nuts. Some don't pay-out string correctly. It got to the point where I purchased one with a blade instead of string. Unfortunately the motor was undersized for the load, so the motor burned out in short order. I know that some of those problems don't exist with gas engine powered weedeaters, but I don't have a huge area to trim so I can't justify the cost.

I came across a Black & Decker model that really works for me. The string pays out automatically (no bumping necessary) and plenty of power. I've used the model GH3000 for several years now and it's still going strong.

I usually buy pre-loaded spools because I have a small area to trim, but rewinding the spools with bulk green string isn't difficult and saves a lot.

·
plains of Colorado
4,168 Posts
I have a WORX...actually on my third one. I LOVE it and use it LOTS. My husband has a big Stihl but that is too heavy for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts