Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the vet coming out on Wednesday to ultrasound the two new mini saanan does who are supposed to be bred. I want confirmation and an idea of due date since they were in with the buck for 3 months. And if definitely bred, they could have been due from the end of Jan to end of April. I don't want to take any chances with not knowing.

Since this is my first kidding experience(we bought our nigerian dwarf bred but a friend wanted her babies so she kidded there and I missed all the exciting parts because I wasn't there as regularly), I'm super excited to get more info. Fingers crossed that they are both bred!!

Anything specific that a newbie to kidding needs to remember from the vet at this point? Or to ask at the ultrasound?

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,248 Posts
I'd like to hear the report from the ultrasound. My vet said that the best time to do ultrasound is when they are about 30 days pregnant and bean size. This info came when I took in a VERY pregnant doe who subsequently gave birth to five bucklings. All we could tell from the ultrasound was that there were more than two.

I'm also curious if he can predict due dates.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
I'm also curious if he can predict due dates.
We took 4 does for ultrasounds Feb 10. One was 2 months, 2 were 3 months roughly and the last one wasn't bred. The vet could see twin at least for all could be more but twins at least. Could tell the sex on one that was 3 months along. The ultrasound machine also show how many weeks the fetus was at that time.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
She really impress me. Just found her is my vet moved to New Mexico because her husband got transfer. So New Mexico has a great goat/sheep vet now. New one I found is great does ultrasounds for the 4h in breeding projects for free and explains everything so they understand. I feel very blessed to have had two really good vets that know goats. On a side the doe with mastitis when to see her and is doing much better.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Great info, I finally noticed my buck (born 9/14/13) trying to breed the does (he is a dwarf, the does are half size and standard) -- my vet wants to Ultrasound them in a month or so as well...

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
There use to be a sheep guy that would do ultrasounds for people in the area. He still does them for his "long time" clients, but is trying to retire, so won't do new people any more. NONE of the vet clinics in the area will do ultrasound on goats. There are vets that have ultrasound, but only do small animals, and vets that do large animals but don't have ultrasound for goats. :(

·
Administrator
19,764 Posts
You are young, inexperienced and idealistic. I feel they are not traits to breed quality livestock but you’re not interested in listening to experienced breeders so I wish you good luck and hope your choices aren’t costly.

·
STILL not Alice
20,223 Posts
You are young, inexperienced and idealistic. I feel they are not traits to breed quality livestock but you’re not interested in listening to experienced breeders so I wish you good luck and hope your choices aren’t costly.
Did you mean this remark to go in this thread? First, it seems not to fit the thread, and second, the thread is 7 years old.

Reactions: Danaus29
1 - 9 of 9 Posts