Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a time crunch and trying to come up with an appropriate gift. DH and I received an invitation last week to a reception for a couple who were recently married. (from the couple) They are an older couple, the man worked with DH although he is out on medical leave. He is fighting cancer and the battle is not going well. I've never met either of them so don't know likes etc. (the invite did not specify no gifts). This gentleman was a listening ear for DH when MIL was diagnosed and passed away years ago. DH stops and visits whenever he is nearby and really wants to not go empty handed or with a check in a card.

The couple both have established homes, they live in one and his daughter and family in the other now. Certif. for dinner out or something is out because DH doesn't think his friend is able to go any more/ wondering if the party will be taxing on him ~ I'm guessing a chance to have a good time with people who are happy for the couple ~ celebrating something good. They are "well set" finance wise (and that idea was vetoed any way).

I was leaning toward a basket with breads, jellies, and such? Not being sure of likes and dislikes I know that could be iffy. ? It's hard not knowing the people at all and DH just says he's sure what I think will be nice. Any ideas for something that shows congrats and thinking of them without just coming up with a dustcatcher. No time to make much of anything and not knowing their home colors etc (except that they have all antique furnishings because they both like the sturdy stuff - like we do) DH has a heart of gold and is the best friend anyone could want nearby - I want to make him proud to take what I come up with.
Thanks for reading the novel ~ sorry it got so long. :) Ideas????
Susan

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Wow, I think you've hit on a perfect gift. Since they don't need "stuff", the basket with "goodies" is great. It's personal, and thoughtful. Jar of honey. Jellies. Bread. It's something they can use, AND share with others if they want.

Good thinking, imho.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Look around for those wonderful little honeys and jams and such that are made right in the area. Get the ones with the little information tags on them, that tell where they came from and how they got there. We have a wonderful store here in hallstead called "Pure Pennsylvania". Everything Jill carries is gorgeous stuff, and made right here in PA. She even carries hand-tied, amish quilts. There is nothing in there that wouldn't make a great gift for a newly married couple.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I like the gift basket idea. Include something with ginger to help settle his stomach, a quick meal like a jar of soup or some pancake mix, and if he or she is a prankster or has a sense of humor hide a couple of condoms and a can of boost or ensure hidden at the bottom.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I have a nice fireside basket picked out and am going to gather the rest of the week to fill it for them. Thanks for the ideas for contents, your ideas will help me fill it nicely!
Susan

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
I make jellies, jams and have honeybees. I love to cook and really love the idea of a basket filled with goodies. You could include bread, crackers, cheese, eggs (if you have chickens).. QB

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
I wanted to add that if it is noth to late get him some castille soap from some of the ladies that make soap. Cancer therapy is Heck on the skin. I've sold pints of lavender scented shea butter to men that have had cancer and the terrible skin associated with it. Something else is justa castille soap. unscented is the best or else True lavender essential oil because of the healing properties.

good luck
Caren

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,812 Posts
One of our favorite gifts is a nice photo album. Then DH takes a bunch of pictures at the wedding and reception (he enjoys photography) gets them developed and usually them to the new couples house before they return from their honeymoon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts