Websites

Discussion in 'Goats' started by christij, Jun 18, 2006.

1. christij

christij Well-Known Member

How many people have sites for thier farms to interest people in your goats/farm? Did you design them yourself? Use any particular software? And how much is a domain name running you?

I plan on developing a site to have up by spring -- I hope! :p

Christie

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

try www.freewebs.com
    Totally free. You don't have to have any skill with html code whatsoever, though you can add more pictures than they will host by using html code.
    This is my website done 100% free on freewebs as an example : www.freewebs.com/mygoats/
    Now they have it with so many pages availible and files you're able to upload, I probably won't ever need to upgrade and start paying for my service. They allow you 100 files/pictures, but if you have a photobucket account you can use the tag code to insert the picture into an raw html code paragraph and go past that 100 file marker.
    With this you don't have to download any software and you don't have to pay for anything if you don't want to. It's really really easy to do. Amazingly easy.

3. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

I am really happy w/ Homestead.com
    it is not a free site, but it is sooo easy to work w/
    it has many price plans, even lets you set up a storefront if you want.
    makes it sooo easy.
    My domain registry runs me about $30 per year. and my web hosting w/ homestead.com is $13 per month, That includes e-mails, domain registration, domain redirecting, and the great software thats so easy to build w/. They have lots of templates that you can customize, or start from scratch, like I did.
    at www.CloverCountryFarms.com

4. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

My friend designed my site initially a few years back, coding in HTML. Since then, I've totally redone it and added many pages and features. It's hosted at GoDaddy. The email could go through them, but is still going through my friend's server. I'm not sure of the cost, but think it's would be around $10 per month. (I paid several years in advance and got a discount for that.) Registration with GoDaddy is very cheap - around $10 per year. www.glimmercroft.com

5. christij

christij Well-Known Member

Thanks, you guys have given me a lot to look into!

Laura, are you making your additions to your site in HTML?

6. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Yup, and I recently learned how to use a little Javascript to do mouseovers, like on the Kids page. But all the rest is HTML.

7. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I started out years ago with a free page at angelfire. They stick their ads on the pages and use popups so it wouldn't work for a professional looking site. I've since bought my own domain but have never moved the old personal pages. Here was the orginal free page http://www.angelfire.com/ok4/mysocks/goat.html It amazes me when I look at those old pages. I keep them so I can see some of the changes we've made over the years.

When I get my herd built up and start selling goats and milk, I'll build professional pages on my own domain. Nothing on it about goats yet, I have hundreds of pages about other stuff.

I use a lot of html and side servers. The side servers save hours and hours of rework so they are the most important thing I've learned so far.

8. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Good grief, where do you buy your domains? I get mine at GoDaddy for $8.95/year. Who sells them for $30?
    I sell hosting beginning at $2/month. $13 sounds like a lot to me unless you have a HUGE site with a TON of traffic. I also offer the templates, email service, domain redirecting etc. all included with the hosting.

9. ladycat

I make my own pages with the .php extension. I make a header, footer, menu, and whatever else will be repeated on many pages. Then I just use include tags on each page, and when I have to edit something that's on all the pages, I only need to edit one page and voila! Every page is edited simultaneously! I LOVE it!! That saves me hundreds of hours of work.

I use Cascading Style Sheets, too, so that I only need very few html tags on the pages. That also saves a tremendous amount of work.

10. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

oops.... I did just look and the $30 is for all 4 of my domains names for 3 years lol oops!

and I guess I should have claified it better, but I am set up for the shopping cart & store front. (altho I havent got it up right now) thats why the monthly cost is more.

11. ladycat

That sounds more like it! :)

12. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to learn .php and have been looking for a good book about it. I've found a few web pages with instructions, but it all looks so complicated. Right now all my pages are .shtml. Do you have any good advice for learning .php?

13. ladycat

Depends on what your goals are.

Do you want to write scripts? If so, you will certainly need to learn PHP programming.

Do you just want to build web pages? If that's your aim, then it's terribly easy just to learn a few include tags and simple functions. As easy as learning HTML.