Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
320 Posts
Campers have condensation problems with or without leaks. .....

Yep... I always leave the vent open in the bathroom, regardless of temperature. Even in 5 degree temps, I leave the raised lid, of the vent open in the bathroom, so the water vapor exits the unit. We bundle up in a zero degree, double bag... and it is common for the inside of the camper to be 40 degrees in the morning... that's OK.... Dang better than sleeping in a tent.

We are skiers and we regularly overnight in the camper up on the parking at the slopes... and temps drop to the negatives.... To avoid vapor/humidity buildup... you have to open your roof vents and let it escape.

· Registered
3,851 Posts
Yep... I always leave the vent open in the bathroom, regardless of temperature. Even in 5 degree temps, I leave the raised lid, of the vent open in the bathroom, so the water vapor exits the unit. We bundle up in a zero degree, double bag... and it is common for the inside of the camper to be 40 degrees in the morning... that's OK.... Dang better than sleeping in a tent.

We are skiers and we regularly overnight in the camper up on the parking at the slopes... and temps drop to the negatives.... To avoid vapor/humidity buildup... you have to open your roof vents and let it escape.
Awesome. We grew up doing that, it’s the good life 👌

· quack...
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
a dehumidifier rated for 1500 sf? For a camper that probably isn't even 300 sf?

I asked one of my girls the other day... if I got a small(like the one that was linked) dehumidifier, would they have a place to put it there? The answer was no. They're a bit unorganized over there(well, not that I am organized so well myself) and, they like their stuff(borderline hoarders/shopping addicts) and that's tough in a normal home... but a small camper?

I believe our local Walmart has one of those small dehumidifiers and I'm thinking I will text my ex and just ask, if I sent one with the kids would she use it.
And while looking this stuff up some, I was seeing stuff about damp rid. We have something similar in our house where you just peel the top off and it absorbs moisture. There are certain times of year where it's harder to control the humidity than others.

· Registered
3,851 Posts
a dehumidifier rated for 1500 sf? For a camper that probably isn't even 300 sf?

I asked one of my girls the other day... if I got a small(like the one that was linked) dehumidifier, would they have a place to put it there? The answer was no. They're a bit unorganized over there(well, not that I am organized so well myself) and, they like their stuff(borderline hoarders/shopping addicts) and that's tough in a normal home... but a small camper?

I believe our local Walmart has one of those small dehumidifiers and I'm thinking I will text my ex and just ask, if I sent one with the kids would she use it.
And while looking this stuff up some, I was seeing stuff about damp rid. We have something similar in our house where you just peel the top off and it absorbs moisture. There are certain times of year where it's harder to control the humidity than others.
I’ve found the smaller units don’t keep up. I do live in a fairly damp climate for what it’s worth. But you’re worried the roof is leaking, and a couple people living in a near airtight unit- you aren’t buying for the actual square footage- you’re needing to compensate for the added moisture. Just my opinion.
I put mine under the kitchen table. The unit I have is probably 16” wide x 20” tall.
Not enough space for a dehum, as in not enough space for clean air? The problem may be bigger that the humidity then.

· quack...
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Not enough space for a dehum, as in not enough space for clean air? The problem may be bigger that the humidity then.
clutter. Hard to find a free surface to put anything down on I believe.
I asked if she'd want a dehumidifier and some stuff for the roof and she said yes. I just got the small dehumidifier plus one of those things you peel the top off and it absorbs moisture. Should at least help.
I also got one of those kits to put plastic on the inside of the windows. Hopefully she can figure that out and it will help some. We'll see.

Then, I just got back from Lowe's... got the elastometric roof sealant stuff... They had two kinds there... one was more for pitched roofs and was more of a paint to help things keep cool, not so much to seal. The other was for leaks and flashing. I figured that was going to be THE most effective of the two products. About $35 per gallon and only cover 25sf each? Yikes.
I bought two. I'm going to tell her not to try and paint the whole roof with it but start where she knows there are leaks(one of my girls says there's two places where it leaks inside) and then the area at the roof AND corner above the girls' windows.
I'm also going to tell her to just throw a tarp up there for now. I will try and check one that we have lying around... hasn't been used, still folded, but it's been stepped on and is worn pretty good where it's been stepped on. But hopefully the rest will be okay. It's camo, not sure if she'd want it if it is still good but... would be free to her so she might just take it.

The directions on this sealant stuff say that you shouldn't do it if it's going to rain in the next few days AND that it has to be above 60°F(I think) for a while. That's not going to happen here for a while so unless someone tells me that it would still be okay to use as long as it's dry out, I'll tell her to just use a tarp and use the sealant when the weather permits.

· Registered
12,312 Posts
Glad to see you are moving forward and she's willing.

Just remember, those small dehumidifiers have to be emptied frequently if there's high humidity......

· Registered
2,706 Posts
Putting a tarp over the whole roof could be a problem. The vent for the fridge is up there. Don't know what kind of heating involved and that might affect that also.

Check it first. See what is up there that could be a problem.

· quack...
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Putting a tarp over the whole roof could be a problem. The vent for the fridge is up there. Don't know what kind of heating involved and that might affect that also.
Hmm... that does sound problematic. I will have to suggest she use multiple tarps if necessary to work where needed and around things, perhaps.
I mean, that stuff says you shouldn't use it when it's cold or wet outside so, what other options are there?
How well does the ventilation need to work up there? I wonder if someone could build some sort of small frame over those things to give the tarp clearance over them so air could still move??? Hmmm
I wasn't really planning on climbing up there myself. She's been living there a while and I've only been there a couple times and each time I haven't done more than step out of my van.
Eh, we'll see.

· Registered
2,846 Posts
Hmm... that does sound problematic. I will have to suggest she use multiple tarps if necessary to work where needed and around things, perhaps.
I mean, that stuff says you shouldn't use it when it's cold or wet outside so, what other options are there?
How well does the ventilation need to work up there? I wonder if someone could build some sort of small frame over those things to give the tarp clearance over them so air could still move??? Hmmm
I wasn't really planning on climbing up there myself. She's been living there a while and I've only been there a couple times and each time I haven't done more than step out of my van.
Eh, we'll see.
I've cut a hole in the tarp for a vent and sealed it with tar roof coating. Had to do it for a woodstove pipe in an RV long ago. You know know works pretty well for securing a tarp around a vent and not over it? Gorilla tape. Should last a couple of seasons, especially if you use elastomeric paint or tar roof coat on tip of it.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts