Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
being a Mrs. is an honor
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is prob. going to sound snippy, but well, it just kinda gets my dander up...

San Diego got rain...this is a rare occurance esp. right now while California is in another drought...

When the weather folks started focasting it, it was easily a week before it hit. The radar showed the storm inching down the state. SLOWLY. Lots of time to 'get ready'...

Well, apparently, I have the only family who watches the news or weather channel. People were 'caught unawares' and were 'completely unaware a storm was coming' blahblahblah...

People lost horses, goats, pets, had no food because rain (snow in mtn's) was so severe and/or their power was out...

?????

Even worse I have friends in NorCal that were without because they didn't think it would really snow or ice....

OK, I grew up in the mtn's up north, on a farm, my parents prepped and stored and I am a squirrel as well. So are my kids...just because we live in a city doesn't mean we are immune from weather and Ma Nature...

OK, big sigh...I feel better now, thanks for letting me vent....

:)Bonnie

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
I know what you mean! Down here in the South though you mention snow or ice and its a panic. People rush out in droves to buy bread and milk. I have never understood the rationale behind that. They don't buy sandwich meat but they buy bread.......Sometimes i go out just to watch the buying frenzy. Meanwhile when the storm starts I'm tucked in at home with a pot of veggie soup going knowing that there's plenty of food, a way to get water, and the animals are taken care of. Cause you know what else they do here?? Go out and try to drive in the mess when they have NO idea how!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Sigh...and sometimes I even miss living in San Diego :p

Maybe to some people it became like "the boy who cried wolf" when it comes to the weather. They may have gotten so tuned out to hearing the weatherman predict gloom and doom, and it never happened. When the bad weather finally shows up, a lot of folks are "caught unawares"...kind of like what they do with hurricanes in the summer and "no-see-um" snowstorms in the winter.

When it come to being prepared, the only thing I do NOT have a backup for is heat (since ours is currently electric). I suppose if we had to for a few days, we could all camp out in Pop's garage/workshop with the woodstove roaring away...

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
People rush out in droves to buy bread and milk. I have never understood the rationale behind that. They don't buy sandwich meat but they buy bread
Those are two things that you cant really "stock up" on unless you freeze them.
We have LOTS of things in the house to make a sandwich with, as long as there is BREAD to put it in.
Also, if there's snow in NC, it generally means schools are closed, and kids are home for extra meals.

·
This is my life
3,869 Posts
I know what you mean, my first experience with this was when we were in Charleston for Hugo. Our elderly neighbor was not prepping at all so when we had everything boarded up and picked up we went to her house. I asked why she had not even gotten her potted plants in and she told me there was no need. She had lived there for years and never been bothered by any of the hurricains. Her house was destroyed.

fast forward to the ice storm a few years ago, we had warning for days. We watched the storm march east with cities losing power as it hit. I filled every container I had with water, got money from the bank and charged my cell phone

Three days later my neighbor calls me to ask what we are doing, I replied I was washing dishes after supper. WHAT!!! How could I be washing dishes when she had not even had water to flush her toilet or have a hot meal in 3 days?

She had an in ground pool....and a fireplace....

It is a mind set people You have to want to make it better.

·
being a Mrs. is an honor
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ruby jane...trust us, its not 'san diego' anymore...its an extension of OC! That is one of the plethora of reasons we are headed back north!!

bread buying...we made bread on our BBQ when power was out for a couple weeks during the '03 fires (I had frozen dough I needed to use up) the same thing with having a hot tub...our potties flushed, but yep, our neighbor (with a pool) was suprised you could do that...

sigh...

another storm on its way. People will complain. Next August, it will be 115...people will complain...

as for me, I am soooooooooooooo excited to be back up home...with a freezer...and a stove...and peace....

=)Bonnie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts