Weasel!!!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by SherrieC, Feb 8, 2005.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

Last night security was breeched in the rabbit barn, some culprit got into a large cage constructed of 1/2 wire, only access was the rabbit feeder which is one without the lid, of course he probally could have forced the lid up. I had four replacement rabbits in there, and all are dead very little mess or blood, was it a weasel? I have seen a weasel in that barn, or was it el chupracabra(chupraconey) :waa: Such a waste, such nice bunnies. What can you do against a weasel? I am getting a trap, what do I bait it with a live mouse? :confused: I am so deflated :(

2. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Sorry about your loss. I got hit by weasels and mink this winter, most damage was in the chicken coop but I did lose 13 two week-old kits to a weasel (I think). It seems such a waste since they usually drink the blood and do not eat much.

You can build a weasel box, they are safe around poultry, cats, dogs:

http://www.trapperman.com/trapperman/The_Weasel_Box_Set.html

I caught a weasel in a live mouse trap once--must of been going for the mice.

Good luck!

3. SherrieC

I'm still sick about it they were the nicest bunnies. I always save the best for replacers of course. (eat the rest) I'm getting a live trap, hope it will catch the little bugger we saw him a month ago killing a rat about 4;30 pm while out doing chores. Couldn't he have just sucked the blood from one and left the rest :no: And of course I butchered the old man buck a month ago so now I only have one buck. argg.

4. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

How old where your bunnies? I had some ~6-week-olds in a near-by cage at the time I lost the 2-week-olds. But the mother is aggressive, actually she is a little too aggressive now. I wonder if it is because of the weasel? One of the mothers that lost her kits is fairly aggressive now too. I thought it was her that did the kits in but when I started to lose kits in another litter the same way I realized my mistake. I had to move the other litter to another building.

They say weasels are not afraid of anything, like a trap so are fairly easy to trap. I think live bait would be the best--otherwise something bloody.

5. SherrieC

My bunnies were huge they were 2 nz & 2 newzealand X with Flemish Giant. I was going to hang new cages this weekend to get the 2 bucks out, before they bred the young does. All the other bunnies from their litters were butchered a month or so ago, and that was after waiting for a bit of a warm spell so it wasnt too cold outside for our hands. I didn't write down when they were born but they must have been 4 -5 months old at least. My grower cage is 6 foot long 3 foot wide, and three foot high. My children like to climb in it.

6. SherrieC

Weasel struck again last nite, took a full grown dutch buck that was just my kids pet. Nearly chewed his head off. I am starting to really dislike mrs weasel at this rate my cages might be empty before I get that trap. Ordered it in the mail from Jeffers maybe I'd better go check and see if a tractor store in town has any in.

7. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

It could be a mink, I really, really hate those guys! My weasel problems have only been with smaller animals. I seem to have enough mice to keep them happy unless something is really tempting.

I put a baby monitor out in my coop after the first mink hit (which killed 15 birds). I heard the mink killing the next night and actually saw him trying to drag one of my small turkeys out the crack in the door. At least you could scare him off :( .

The only way I kept all my kits from being killed in the second litter was to move them. Don't know if that is an option for you, or move the best ones until you get the varmit. I would set a trap (#0 longspring, #1 longspring, #1 underspring, #1 coilspring and the #1 1/2 longspring) out in the cage using part of the last rabbit or fresh fish for bait. Sometimes if they have eaten well, they might not visit for awhile. But you will be on their route from now on.

When I was trying to get my mink, someone mentioned asking an area trapper. They would love the chance at a weasel or a mink and usually know what to do.

8. SherrieC

Apparently I'm going to have to move the most important does, into the basement because last nite he ate the flemish giant X nz buck(last buck) that I saved from last spring! He had just bred everybody, I hope for the end of Feb, early march. If I don't move em into the basement I wont even have a buck if one of the does doesn't birth one. Now down to 6 rabbits, in three days from 12!!!!

9. boren

boren Well-Known Member

Argg sorry Sherrie!!!

I have 2 live traps if you need to borrow em. One is skunk/rabbit sized and the other is racoon size. Little bit of a drive. I got mine from either Tractor Supply (not sure if there's any up there) or Ace. Can't remember which, but I know both have them.

If you need some bucks this spring I have two I was going to put into the freezer, both are cals though. One is a really nice meat type, but he's getting a bit old.

10. SherrieC

I just informed husband that the does are coming down to the basement for a week or two. I needed to move the rabbit operation anyhow because I'm extending the goats area into that space. And the weasel trap should be here tues. However I think I'll call my neighbors and see if anyone has a trap.
    -Boren If my Buck didn't breed anyone successfully I was going to email you to see if I could get a cal Buck! Doesn't matter as long as its meat type since we are currantly just raising for meat. I'll know in about 2 weeks, But I might travel over and pick up a cal buck around spring break in march I'll need a new buck even if these are bred for the next breeding.

11. boren

boren Well-Known Member

Ok sounds good. I need 1 more breeding out of that guy. He's got excelent hefty shoulders. He's just not interested in "chasing" down the does in the winter. =)

12. SherrieC

Yay! I found enough single cages to bring all 6 remaining does into the basement, and a cat carrier for the little dutch bun. I had no idea I had that many single cages! :)

13. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

Howed it all go? Did u catch him yet? Try and find the spot hes going in at and put the cage there...We had a mink taking chickens like candy...WE used a sping loaded trap that we sunk to ground leavel and put a peice of plastic on top of it...WACK...we got him....He was a big feller. Hope all is well!
    AJ

14. SherrieC

A big guy holy cow! Maybe we should set a spring loadied trap too, we have two live traps out there and have caught Nothing, I'm hoping to catch him soon, or maybe he'll move on :no: I really, really don't like bunnies in the basement. But tomorrow my first doe is due, I'm on pins and needles to see if she took, and if she will raise them after all this. She is my oldest doe, and the mom of well guess I only have one of her babies now :waa: I'll really need and want to keep those babies!

15. SherrieC

Guess what? We caught the weasel! well for a while anyhow what ever it was was small enough to get into a weasel/rat trap you can order from jeffers, and STRONG enough to bend it and get OUT. Maybe it is a vampire. :waa:

16. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

WEll...i hope u catch that critter...Maybe you could post on the Poultry board...they have helped me with critter probs with my chickens and such. I hope you catch him! Grr...
    AJ

17. SherrieC

Now ya jinxed me, he moved on all right to the hen house, killed all 3 of my hens! Ahhhh. I got new chicks coming Mon, that mink needs to GO :yeeha: