Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought home four Hereford pigs that are about 8 weeks old. I started them out in one of my chicken tractors to provide protection. I want to pasture raise these pigs but I'm worried about potential predators. Do I need to worry about coyotes and other predators or can I just put up a couple of stands of hot wire? I could always use feed to lure them back into a tractor for the evening I guess. Your advice would be much appreciated.

JH

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
I don't have any advice, I just wanted to say those are some fine looking pigs! I really like the color. I have never heard them. Are they a breed or just a color variation?

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Thanks for the link. We always raise the Landracer/yorksire cross. My husband thinks they make the best hogs. But they tend to get sunburned in the hot summers we have here. I would think these hogs you have would not burn as easily as the pink ones, I am going to show him a picture of these. Thanks.

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
I've never had any of my Herefords suffer from sunburn. As far as predators go we've never had a pig or piglet snatched by a predator in WI or KS. We don't worry about that. I would however, keep these guys locked up at night just to be on the safe side since they are only 8 weeks old. Heather

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
I have had a problem with roaming dogs but not with coyotes when it comes to pastured pigs. As stated above let them get some size before leaving them in the pasture overnight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts