Weaning

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Rancher, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Rancher

Rancher Well-Known Member

Let me start off by saying that I am a new member of the PRMA. What a wealth of knowledge it is. Hats off to all the Officers, Directors and all that contributed to the PRMA Guidebook. I recommend everyone that has rabbits spend the few bucks and join this Assocation. Now for my question. I have read that Mr. Higgins weans his babies 2 days before he installs the nest boxes or 8 weeks old, which ever comes first. I see the advantages of this in less grow cages needed. I was wondering if anyone else is doing this. It makes so much sense, but I was always told that the doe needs 2 weeks rest before kindling. My Does are on a 14 day breed back sch. due to I work offshore in the Gulf of Mexico and work 7 days offshore and 7 days at Home. That sch. works good for me.
    Rancher

2. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

We used to wean the babies at 4 weeks, which is the earliest you can (but we didn't have meat rabbits, I bet it makes sense to keep them on longer so they grow better), and yes, they could have bunnies 1 to 2 weeks later. You could have them have them right away too, but you just have to make sure the doe is staying in good condition and can handle it. Some can, some can't, but you can always try to help by giving her good calories. Does that help?

3. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

We wean around 4-5 weeks but have had some does wean as early as 3 weeks, guess she got tired of them driving her nuts :haha:

4. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

Hi, Rancher:

Although I don't make it a standard practice, I do sometimes leave kits with
    the doe until time to place the nest box in the cage. I do this more often
    in the winter than in the summer. It seems to make no difference to the
    doe or the litter. My cages are not large enough with enough feeder space
    to allow litters of 8 and above to stay with the doe. I may remove the
    majority at 28 days and allow some to stay with the mother until time
    for nest box placement.

Please don't tell my does that they need 14 days of "rest" as they may go
    on strike. ;)

Linda Welch
    http://www.texasrabbitconnection.com

5. Rancher

Rancher Well-Known Member

Thanks to all that replied.
    dlwelch I think I'll use your strat. I think I will wean about half of the babies and see what happens. Again thanks to all.
    Rancher

6. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

kudos to you for joining, it's a great organization (I'm a member too :) ). Breed back schedules seem to be pretty much up to the individual breeder, but I'm working on getting my Cal does moved over to a 28 day breedback w/ weaning prob. being @ 7 wks. (Kinda tight on cage space what w/ getting the commercial aspect up and running.)