weaning the babies

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Macruari, May 28, 2006.

1. Macruari

Macruari Macruari

Hi All,
    This is just our second year at breeding goats. We have 9 little ones, 55% nubian and 45% boer. What age do you recommend weaning them? They are all drinking water, eating grain, eating hay, and browsing. But I do hate hearing them call for their mothers and vice versa. I am surprised at just how dominate the boer coloring is.

thanks.

2. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

I wait until they are 12 weeks old to wean, by this time the doe has already been cutting them back on nursing. I've got one boer doe that weans her own kids at 9-10 weeks.
    I try to leave siblings together when they're weaned as they do not seem to get as stressed, but I have also sold some at weaning and do not know of any miracle to keep the doe and kids frm calling to one another.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I wean no sooner than three months and if I have no pressing reason then, I may leave them on for another month, especially Boer kids. I don't reccomend weaning earlier than 3 months for the health of the kids.

4. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I also wean at 4 months. Last year, I had it timed that someone bought them at 45-50 pounds so they got weaned the hard way. :Bawling:

5. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Ours are generally allowed to wean their kids when they chose.
    The only time this isn't the case is if the doelings are not weaned come breeding time and the dam is being rebred to their sire. In that case, they are removed and either bred themselves or penned together away from the bucks to grow a couple more months before being bred. The only other exceptions are hand raised kids (we aim for three months, depends on milk supply) and purchased kids. I sold two January buck kids this year. They left at the very end of April and were weaned the day they left.
    Usually though our does will start weaning them around 5 months plus. I'm surprised to see Utopia weaning her January triplets already. Normally she only raises one or two of her triplets (we pull one), but this year we heavily supplemented and she kept the kids. Her udder is quite full and she only allows them to relieve some pressure before walking away. I'm about ready to put her on the milk stand and empty it myself! She usually would feed her wethers til they were nine months old at least (she has only had 4 does out of 15 kids, two of them this year).

6. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Yes, Boer coloring is very dominant! I like to leave Boer kids on for as long as possible, it grows thm up realy nice. I leave them on til butcher, or til 4-5 months. The meat is really nice when milkfed and the little Boers turn into real big chunky Boers real fast. I like dairy kids to grow out well too, but for different reasons. :)

7. Macruari

Macruari Macruari

Thanks for all the advice. My husband was wanting to wean them now when they are only about 6 to 7 weeks old; based on the book saying to do it by weight and the fact that they are all eating and drinking on their own. But I kept thinking that they are just little (not so little) babies and should still be nursing even if they do join in the adult feeding time. So all of you guys' advice has paid off and the babies are staying with the moms.
    Thanks again.