weaning question

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by rom828, Sep 17, 2004.

1. rom828

rom828 New Member

I just got some New Zealands liast nght, and 2 of the does have 2 week old rabbits. When can the nesting box come out?

2. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

... as soon as their eyes are opened and they start climbing out! 2-3 weeks

When I remove the nesting box, I stuff some alfalfa in the cage so they have something to continue to hide in. About the time they have eaten their way through they are large enough to reach the feeder. But then I have bales of Alfalfa to feed the sheep and goats so stuffing some into a cage is no extra expense or work.

If these are going to be pets or your breeders start handling them now to make them friendly. If these are to be eaten...don't bother as they will be in the freezer in 6 more weeks.

3. rom828

rom828 New Member

Thanks for the response, I know it seemed like a silly question, just didn't want to get them out too soon. They are for the freezer, and ea re counting down the weeks.

4. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Rom,

It did NOT seem like a silly question! You want the box out so they can romp and play and eat and grow and build muscle and get ready for butcher 4.5-5# is a good butcher weight. However, the older the rabbit the more flavorful they are...IMHO