Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked back and find some conversations from about 10 years ago that seem to recommend a weaning age of 5-6 weeks that works best for both piglets and sows. We have a chance to buy 3 week piglets worth the money, but I am leary that they are too young to separate from mama. My husband thinks the seller will keep them for two more weeks, if we pay now. This would get them to 5 weeks. What are the opinions/experiences with weaning ages? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
I have looked back and find some conversations from about 10 years ago that seem to recommend a weaning age of 5-6 weeks that works best for both piglets and sows. We have a chance to buy 3 week piglets worth the money, but I am leary that they are too young to separate from mama. My husband thinks the seller will keep them for two more weeks, if we pay now. This would get them to 5 weeks. What are the opinions/experiences with weaning ages? Thanks!
This really depends on the breed and how they have been raised.
I have weaned at 4 weeks. This time i have a Hereford sow that has 11 health piglets and they are 6 days old and all ready eating 16 percent pig feed. I will wean these at 3 weeks and feed them grower piglet feed. They should do just fine at 3 weeks if you feed them grower piglet feed.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
As a general rule we wean around six weeks. More than eight weeks doesn't tend to produce much benefit for the piglets and pulls the sow down too much. Less than four weeks sets the piglets back some but is possible. Six weeks we find to be a good compromise. The reality is we tend to wean in large cohorts of many litters from a pasture so there will end up being a range of ages. We just weaned 98 and the age range was just over four weeks to about seven weeks.

I take it they are weaned at this point... Three week old piglets at a cheap price might be a good deal. They've gotten beyond the critical stage and should be fine if they're on solid foods. If the seller keeps them for two more weeks any weak ones should die off and the price should go up.

Please fill in your location information which makes it easier to answer questions. At the very least your zone. See this thread:

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/livestock-forums/pigs/505485-please-fill-location-info.html

Cheers,

-Walter

·
Registered
40 Posts
im also new to piglet buying and have wondered the minimal age. Seems everyone around here SW Mo has 4 week old for sale i would rather them to be older especially since the price is usually not cheep. Im buying a Boar piglet from ark next month and she is keeping him tell 9 weeks.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
im also new to piglet buying and have wondered the minimal age. Seems everyone around here SW Mo has 4 week old for sale i would rather them to be older especially since the price is usually not cheep. Im buying a Boar piglet from ark next month and she is keeping him tell 9 weeks.
After 5 weeks the piglets really start to pull the sow down.
Takes a lot of feed to keep the sow in shape after 5 weeks.
I have found its better to wean by 4-5 weeks and keep the sow healthy and breed sow right away.

When buying breeding stock best to see the Sire and Dam try to buy the biggest and health looking piglet. Spend some time with the new pig to make sure it walks and eats good.

What breed of pigs do you have?

Best,
Gerold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts