Weaning Age Question

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by 400# Gorilla, Sep 24, 2006.

1. 400# Gorilla

400# Gorilla New Member

We're fairly new to pigs and we have an opportunity to pick up some young pigs. The breeder said that they are 6 weeks old and eating grain but are still in with the mother.
    Is this old enough to buy them and not have problems with them? Is there anything special that we should do for them to give them a better chance? Should we even buy pigs that young?

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

They should be fine at this age. I usually wean around 6 or 7 weeks. By then the sow is usually trying to wean them herself anyway. Most large operations wean at 4 weeks in order to get the sow rebred sooner. All that does IMHO is wear out your sow sooner. If they're eating well, you should have no problems.

3. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

yes, they are good to go. You may see them decline a little , but they will come out of it. We wean at 4 weeks. They get feed in their creep at 1 week old. They are eating good by the time we wean.

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

I weaned my last two litters at 6 weeks and was very happy with the way it turned out. The first litter that I weaned was pretty much weaned already. I knew the second litter that I weaned at 6 weeks was still doing quite a bit of nursing but didn't seem any worse off after I took them away from the sow.

As long as the pigs look healthy and playfull I would buy them at this age. They are plenty old enough to be taken away from the sow.

Heather

5. RedHogs

RedHogs Well-Known Member

I have been weaning at 21 days, but the last two litters I did at 17 and 19 days to get 6 sows all timed up right. I am optomistic that with a couple more tests i can pull all my pigs off at 17 days. I had to pull some off last year at 14 days and they trucked on just fine with a weeks worth of goat milk.

6. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

we have weaned with success at 2 weeks to 21 days also.

7. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

The big operations wean at 10 days. The industry is talking about moving to 21 days. At four weeks the piglets are ready to wean. Given their druthers the piglets will nurse for six to eight _months_ if they can. If you keep them on the sow too long it nurses her down excessively and that will hurt her. She is better off not nursing them more than about six weeks - four weeks is plenty. Weaning at that point allows for two litters a year and will not wear out the sow sooner.

I've done a lot of experimenting with this.