weaned pig

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Yankee1, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Yankee1

Yankee1 Well-Known Member

I am looking to buy a weaned pig in NW Arkansas. (Harrison area)

If anybody has one please let me know

2. gladetop

gladetop Well-Known Member

I will be weaning some off here in a few weeks. I live around thornfield, mo,
    which is about 50 minutes east of branson. If you can't find anything closer to harrison and are interested let me know.
    Travis

P.S. They are 35 dollars.

3. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

Not sure how far you are from Poteau but they have an auction every Saturday with lots of pigs. I went the other day and they had some really awesome weanlings run thru.

4. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

Thats the price mentioned in a Logsdon book from the 70's...

5. gladetop

And I still have people try to haggle me down.

6. quailkeeper

Pigs have really bottomed out in price. The ones that were selling at that auction sold for $17-25 mostly. Some weighed around 55-75 lbs and brought $35-$40.

7. gladetop

Quailkeeper, Thanks for all your insight. Don't forget to tell people to buy their veggies from the supermarket and not the farmers market.

8. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Just remember this, all you "I wanta a weaner but one that is cheap:"

GARBAGE IN GARBAGE OUT!

Personally I wouldn't buy an animal :1pig: :cow: at a livestock auction unless I knew the person who raised it an saw his operation at his farm. But that is just me. I could never understand how a person was willing to put good money into an unknown animal just to save a few dollars.

I am on a fixed income and we buy our animals from their owners after looking at the owners operation. I don't like walking out to a pen and seeing a dead "Sale animal"

Now this is my way of doing it so you have not much to argue with as I am not going to change my ways LOL ;)

9. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

What weight will they be? Thanks

10. gladetop

I sale them around 35 pounds give or take five pounds.

Travis

11. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

A pig that has not been stressed by hauling in under than ideal conditions and one that has not been comingled with hundreds of other pigs at a sale barn is more valuable. Anytime you can get an animal from the producer and take it directly home is a major advantage. Just imagine the amount of disease germs you and the pig avoid!
    I sell feeder calves through a sale facility and once they leave my farm they never return under any circumstances. I do not even like the guy that hauls them to bring his trailer onto my place.

12. quailkeeper

WOW I don't see what everyone's problem is!! These were some of the best pigs I've ever seen!! And for the record I grow my own veggies so I would imagine that that is even better than the ones at the farmers market. A lot of them were run thru with mother so you could see at least one parent. There were about 35 weanlings that went thru. Jez people go get a life. A weanling has only been fed their momma's milk. And besides that unless you plan to butcher immediately I wouldn't be a bit worried. In fact, I just got thru buying a little female pig that I intended to breed but its just not worth it if I can pick up such nice pigs for such a small price. Not all homesteaders are rich by any means. Most are penny pinchers and thats why they raise their own meat in the first place. I was just offering an option that was closer. I refuse to sell my animals to private people because of the massive theft ring that is going on. They'll even steal your dogs, so my only outlet is the sale barn.

13. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

I agree with garbage in garbage out. I take my culls to the sale barn. I will only take a good one if I need cash bad. We sell privatly off the farm for the most part. People around here however know us and know the kind of livestock we raise. We get a significantly higher price than others. It is quite an ego booster to go to the sale barn for me!!
    At least I know I have something to be proud of both on and off the farm.