Wean calf to bucket...

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JulieLou42, Sep 7, 2006.

1. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

My calf's 2 months old, and I was wondering if it might be possible to take him off mom and put him on replacer in a bucket? I now want whatever milk she has left, as I had to quit when I was taking antihistamines for a wasp sting...made me too groggy to handle milking. Thoughts or suggestions to get this done appreciated... :shrug:

2. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Julie, I'm sure you know that a two-month-old calf no longer needs milk or replacer. I wean mine at 7 weeks no exceptions. Unless you have some milk replacer you need to get rid of, then by all means mix it up and serve via bucket. A young calf not depending on a daily milk source will quickly shift it's nutritional needs to grains and grasses. Also milk replacer sure is expensive $$$...My thoughts....Tennessee John

3. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This was him, with "attitude" on the date shown. He was born 7/10 and weight taped at 40" at 39 days. Jumped outta that little calf pen a few moments later.

I'm pretty sure that momma will wean him by 8 months.

I do have milk replacer left over from two years ago.

I've a problem separating this pair; not set up for it. DH doesn't let me spend but the barest minimum on my little "herd."

4. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

If you are asking about the mechanics of teaching a calf to drink from a bucket this is what I do. I let the calf suck my finger, and I pull my hand downinto the milk in the bucket, then slowly pul my finger out. It has worked realy well for me.