Weak kid

Discussion in 'Goats' started by DogwoodRidge, Jan 31, 2005.

1. DogwoodRidge

DogwoodRidge New Member

We have a new born kid born at 11 last night, he is a trip and is weak, we have given him, 8cc's nutri drench, and 22cc's of moms colostrum in the last few hours, his mouth was cold, since we could not get him up and going, we brought him in the house, he is warmer now and seems to only want to sleep, I don't know what to do, he is also a very big baby and birth was a huge problem, any help would be apreciated, Thanks Rex

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Does his tongue hang out when nursing? and or weak back legs? read up on the selenium deficiency postings.....

A little coffee (brewed)may "perk" him up, I have used it on kids before, like a tbs I think in a couple ounces of colostrum

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

give him one cc of BO SE. you have to get it from your vet, but this usually will jump start the little fellows.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

First he is starving to death. You simply can't syringe in enough nutrients to a kid, you have to take them to someone who knows how to tube http://www.nwinfo.net/~milkmaid/ here is a basic article on how to. An 8 pound kid needs 16 ounces of colostrum the first 12 hours, without it they are lethargic, can't keep their body temp up and fail to thrive. 22cc is not even 1 ounce. Don't go filling the tummy with anything other than colostrum if the kid is dehydrated from being on a heating pad than give it lactated ringers under the skin, make a large lump above the shoulder before it completely dissappears make another one on the other side. Act quickly or put the kid down.

Bos-e dosage is 1cc per 40 pounds, so unless you have severe defficiency in your herd, by bloodtest, don't over do it. Vicki

5. DogwoodRidge

DogwoodRidge New Member

Update On weak Kid
    OK folks it has been a looong night/morning, bnut about 5am he decided to take some colostrum I had milked from mom, we kept him inside till this morning took him back to mom about 360, and she still wanted him, so everything looks good, I will get some Bo-Se to have on hand, thanks for all the posts, Rex

6. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

Hi,
    We've had sheep and goats for almost 20 years now, and I can't tell you how many days and nights I've wasted coaxing colostrum into a weak little one with a teaspoon or a syringe. Now, finally, my daughter owns most of the flock and decided that instead of selling out to go to college, she wants to keep the better stock and move up to open class shows. Suddenly she has real money of her own invested, and every lamb and kid counts! Just this weekend she found one down in the pasture, too cold and weak to get up and suckle. She tried everything, then finally ran down to the co-op and bought a tube. Came home and read the book again, then tried it on her own. She got 90cc's (about 3/4 of a cup) into the little guy, then propped him up in some good, deep bedding with hot water bottles. Two hours later, he was up and following mom and nursing like a pro. I'm absolutely kicking myself for not learning this technique sooner! It is actually so easy you'd be shocked, and FAST. I'm still a 4-H leader even though my own kids are all grown, and I'm thinking that this year we should introduce the entire club to the tubing proceedure at the same meeting that we review how to give shots to oranges! :haha: I really believe that it's a lifesaving skill you need to know if you breed small ruminant livestock.

Susan