We went to town today YOW $225

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by donsgal, Jan 8, 2007.

1. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Yep, we went to town and got all our canned goods for a couple of months at Aldi's ($50). We stopped at a thrift shop where we picked up a GREAT working food processor for $3.95. I got the first new pair of shoes that I have purchased in more than five years (I usually buy thrift shop shoes) at Target for $14.95 and dh picked up two pairs of jeans and three shirts at the farm store (which will last him the year). He also got a new pair of shoes!

All together (including dinner at Golden Corral), the total came to $225. I can't remember the last time we spent THAT much money at one time. What a shock.

We went to the mall. Haven't been there in about a year and a half. I wasn't impressed, and it sure was fun to look at all the "trendy" people trying to impress each other. LOL. People are funny.

Hopefully, we won't have to go back to town for a while.

donsgal

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I know the feeling. I have rearranged the budget a few times to allow for the increases at the grocery store.

I haven't been to a mall since I was about 17 or 18. I hate shopping! Unless it's in a Tractor Supply store. :D

I also like to watch people. I could sit & do that for quite some time.

3. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

Oh, I love Tractor Supply too. So much stuff in there is actually useful.

I need to go stock up on canned/dry goods that I don't make, and I'm not looking forward to it. I was shocked by the recent rise in the cost of basics like flour, sugar, etc. I just might use that wet spot at the back of the property and try planting some rice this year.... :rolleyes:

4. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I'm going to plant a wheat plot this spring. Dh thinks I'm silly. But heck, why not?

donsgal

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Good deal on that processor,yes,prices have gone out of sight,eh?

BooBoo :gromit:

6. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

Try going away for seven years and coming back. I swear I nearly died of sticker shock when I visited in 2004. The economists tell us inflation is running 2% but prices had DOUBLED in 7 years. Economists lie.

Of course now Dubai has gotten so expensive that anywhere else seems like a bargain. We're paying over $1000 a month in rent for our apartment and that is less than HALF the going rate. Bachelors are sharing one bedroom and paying $2200 a month for the privilege of living here. Plus you can't go anywhere with the permanent traffic jams on every road. Mrs Dubai can't figure out why I am ready to leave....

7. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

Not only is food going up as you stand and look at the price on the shelf but our thrift stores are getting really pricey. Mark downs in WalMart are often way cheaper. No idea what folks around here will do for fabric when they close their fabric depts. Won't have anywhere to buy cheap fabric. Was looking at the Burpee catalog last night and was just boggled at the price of some of their seeds too.
    PQ

8. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

You might want to reconsider buying from Burpee - Monsanto now owns that seed company.

9. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

We had a new small grocery open locally and I loaded up the end of Oct. on canned/dry goods (4/$1 veggies and 79cent flour5#) followed by another store's case lot sale.
    Then the pigs went to market and a deer half was had...
    But I do need to get to the healthfood store for beans and oats soon.

My feed for the goats and chickens is skyhigh....so we are going to plant more corn, pumpkins and mangels for fodder this Spring. Our beefer is growing well though....and should refill the freezer next Fall.

I'm worried about affording to do the broilers this year since grain is so much. :help:

10. T.K.

T.K. T.K.

Just a thought on the fabric leaving walmart. When my kids were little we were on a really tight budget. I made all of their clothes and most of mine. I couldn't afford fabric. I used to go to bag sales when the churches had rummage sales and buy the biggest clothes I could find. I went by the fabrics I liked of course but didn't worry about much else. I could get alot of clothes in a bag for a buck. When I came home I would take them apart in the evenings and cut out new clothes for the kids and myself. Bonus was I always had zippers, buttons etc. It was a really frugal way to dress ourselves and I would do it again if I needed fabric. Labor intensive, yes, but cheap.

11. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Donsgal, We are growing a small plot of wheat for the lst time, actually at first as a cover crop and then I thought why not see if we can harvest some from it. We were also using the green part to juice until it got too tough. It will be interesting to see how much of a crop we get. Rita

12. iowahopefuls

iowahopefuls Well-Known Member

Still in California.. but making a good time of it
    I thought it was just our area that prices have been going up!! I was looking thru the weekly ad and deodorant was 2 for 7.00!! so where the Qtips!!! I have been a sahm for 7 years so I know how to make my money stretch but this was crazy!! I just went to the .99 store and stocked up there. So far I have spent 51.00 (.99 store) 20.00 (farmers market) 100.00 (Winco) 17.00 (going out of business bookstore, homeschooling books) 15.00 ( new shoes for me) I think I am going to have to start making my money scream!! Can anybody tell me how the prices in Missouri are?

Danielle

13. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

TK, That reminds me of my Mother. There were no thrift stores and she would not take giveaways - except hand me downs from family. I always said Mother would remake everything at least 3 times before it became a mop rag.

I do remember cutting up a couple of pairs of corduroy capri pants and making my first son overalls. I got a lot of satisfaction from that.

In Ft Worth, there was a Stockton factory that made ladies pants. It was knit, but heavy, wear-like-iron knit. We would go there and buy bags of cutaways. My youngest son wore little one piece coveralls made from those scraps all his toddler years.

Upstairs, there is still one box left of cutaways and left over fabric from the Levi plant when they had one near here. Some of the pieces are several yards and it is the really tough denim Levi used to use. I have been hoarding that for over 20 years.

I do worry about Wal Mart fabric closing. While I am not defending Wal Mart - I just feel with less competition, the other fabric stores will be higher. One thing is for sure, I will not be putting my fabric out for sale at a garage sale. I did try to sell some once and no one was buying. There were a couple of people who came who had children and when they bought, I would give them a bunch. It didn't hurt to give it away to someone who would use it.

Back to the amount spent in town, it is easy to do. That is why I don't go shopping often. My husband either has to go to work or go to the Post Office every day. I usually just ask him to pick up things. He doesn't dawdle and he may go to the coffee shop to work the crossword and trade stories with the other old geezers, but no lunch, etc.

14. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Great! I read in a book somewhere that for a family to use their own wheat exclusively during the year that you can grow about a 10 X 50 plot and that should be enough. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens too. I'm sure the bread will taste a lot better with fresh-grown wheat! YUM.

donsgal

15. NBC3Mom

NBC3Mom Well-Known Member

Forgot my debit card last Friday when I went to Walmart so I had to go back Saturday to make the same purchases. Prices had gone up in less than 24 hours - oranges from 58 to 75 cents EACH! Lean cuisine meals from 89 to $1.39 and liquid handsoap from 89 to $1.39. Did not buy any of them.

16. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

Really? I am surprised that you can grow it in such a small space. What is the expected yield, do you know? Basically, I am looking at refined amounts if you have them.

17. Aintlifegrand

Rising prices have been driving me crazy here for a few months. I shop about every third day...( I am addicted to grocery stores) anyway...the prices go up everytime I go in there. I have been fussing about it to everyone around here and they all think I am being " cheap" as they don't seem to notice or say something to the effect...some go up and some go down blah blah.... :flame: Oh well, atleast after reading this, I know I am not crazy. :)

18. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I'll see if I can find that book and find the information for you. I'm sure a lot depends on how much flour you use (of course), but that was the figure that I recall. I'll get back to you as soon as I can dig it out.

donsgal

19. Aintlifegrand

great! Thank you.

20. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I bought some organic hard white (or maybe it was red??) wheat berries at an amish store a few months ago and froze it. Can I use it as seed and plant it in the spring? (or now, for that matter! What's up with this weather!!!!!)

I'm in NW Ohio, by they way.
    CC