We took our trip to the water park

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Anita in NC, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

We're back from our mini vacation to the indoor water park in Williamsburg, VA. We left Monday morning and arrived back home late last night.

The water park was great. The 3 kiddos really enjoyed themselves. After following the older to boys, Peter 10 and Ben 7, around and determining everything looked safe for them they were able to do many of the things themselves. DH and I took turns following, Sam 3, around.

The big boys enjoyed the raft ride and the two tube rides. I went several times with them. We all got a workout climbing the 100 stairs to the raft ride and the 70 steps to the tube rides. There was also a wave pool, a lazy river, two body slides and huge water fun fulled tree house, a toddler pool with toddler water slides, water basketball and a floating crossing.

The hotel wasn't any where near full. So we got a free up grade to our room ($100 value) and enjoyed a much nicer room with a fire place, bunk beds in a little cabin for the kids etc...

All in all we had a really great time (although exhausting).

2. Tanyal

Tanyal Well-Known Member

We are going in a couple of weeks to Great Bear Lodge in OH. We went a couple of years ago and the kids loved it. Our youngest is now 3 and she will be able to enjoy it a lot more.

Glad you had a good time. :)

Tanya in MI

3. Christine in OK

Christine in OK Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, that sounds really neat, Anita! I'm so glad you were able to go - I guess that means the rest of the family didn't come down with the sick?

I may have to put that on my list of "places I want to visit on vacation". Colorado and the Pacific Northwest are there too. And Maine/Vermont. And England/Ireland. And....

4. Anita in NC

Christine, so far no one has come down sick. Although Peter has been laying around on the couch today saying he feels like he's going to throw up and Ben has been complaining his tummy hurts.

We'll have to wait and see what happens. Maybe everyone is just worn out from all that fun!

5. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Funny isn't it, how after you have kids, vacations become all about them? I didn't hear anything about what the parents (who were PAYING for the trip) go to do for fun.

I guess when you are a parent, you don't get to have your own fun any more.

donsgal
    having fun - and yet another reason to be glady she is childfree.

6. KatW

KatW Xander's Mom

Donsgal- Did you read the same post I did? Sounds to me like Anita and her DH had a great time spending time with their children and enjoying a waterpark and a nice hotel.

I think it is great that you are so happy to be childfree but your posts lately have been harsh and, well, downright rude. It doesn't seem to me that you are happy, you come across as bitter.

Anita- I'm glad you all had such a great time. I went to a waterpark when I was, oh about 13, and it is one of my really good memories. Had a blast. Those slides are so much fun but those stairs are killers. :)

7. Anita in NC

KatW and Donsgal: I have to say that I did enjoy taking the kids to the water park. Being a bit of a kid at heart I enjoyed the water rides and even playing with my 3 year old. The 2 big kids could just go and play and would check in with us once in a while.

What DH and I both agree on is that the little one, Sam 3, is the one that wears you out. Sam has to be constantly supervised and although I enjoyed spending time with him it would be nice to take a break from him. Even though DH and I traded watching Sam it didn't give us any time together.

We had the discussion that in another 3 years the same vacation would be a lot different as all 3 kids would be independent and DH and I could sit and enjoy chatting, reading or just relaxing.

Unfortunately kids are very ME, ME, ME. Even more so when you have 3 of them. But this is life right now and I enjoy it knowing that as they all get older things will change.

This was a vacation for the kiddos - not really for the grown ups. But the grown ups had fun too.

As for some grown up time I have a vacation planned with a girlfriend in May for 3 days and DH is going to stay home and watch the kids. Then at some point a friend said she would watch my boys so DH and I can go away for a weekend.

Life is about balance. Sometimes, not all the time, you do what the kids want and sometimes they have to do what you want. It is give and take.

8. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Anita sounds like she did have fun with her kids at the park, I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying that grown ups need to have their own kind of fun sometimes, maybe that includes dinner out at a nice "upscale" restaurant, perhaps some dancing, maybe going to a play or a museum that children would find "boring" such as an art museum, etc. There is also the exceedingly simple pleasure of sitting in a coffee house and reading the newspaper while listening to some nice classical (or folk) music while sipping a nice cup of java. Not to mention the enjoyment of an adult beverage or two during the afternoon to give you a total sense of peace and relaxment.

In other words the joy of having time, peace and quiet to relax without someone making CONSTANT demands on your time or resources. Reading the follow up post from Anita, it sounds like she is looking forward to an opportunity to do just that in the future. What a shame that until that happens she must spend time AWAY from her husband to have a little personal time.

You know, when I was little I had nothing to do with or say about my family's vacation time. I went along and made the best of it. The only time I was allowed to voice any input was on my birthday which always ended up as "going to Disneyland" otherwise, I found ways to amuse myself while my parents were having their fun.

My, how times change.

donsgal

9. Melissa

Melissa member

When you have children, sometimes you do things that they enjoy and sometimes they do things you enjoy. A little compromise and sacrifice never hurt anyone. I have trecked through amusement parks and really only enjoyed their enjoyment, much as they have gone through many museums and garden shows only with my urging. It's what families do!