We saw an immature bald eagle yesterday!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jillis, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Yesterday I was running errands in town and had my 14 yo son with me. I had just picked up some lunch for my dh and was on my way to bring it to him as a surprise...we took a shortcut through the park, which has an inlet of Lake Memphremagog in it. My son exclaimed, "MOM! LOOK!" I turned my head and saw what I first thought was a perfect carving of an eagle...in the middle of the lawn area between the drive through the park and the lake???

I stopped the car to stare (no cars came behind me...this is a small town). It was an immature Bald Eagle, eating a pigeon or a sea gull! (For some reason we have seagulls on this land-locked lake in the mountains.) We watched it the whole time it stayed there. It was very alert. It would pull up a piece of food and then look in every direction while it ate that piece. Finally it flew up into the trees! It was totally awesome and majestic! And right in the heart of town, too!

When I brought my lunch in to my dh (late!), he wasn't really impressed. But the guy who shares his office questioned me closely and then told me that a mature Bald Eagle and its offspring, an immature Bald Eagle had been sighted at nearby Prouty Beach. He went to go see if he could get a glimpse of it.

I found this a very exciting event.

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

The eagles have made a tremendous comeback. Rarely a day goes by when we don't see at least one eagle in our neck of the woods.

Not to change the topic, but the other day as we drove to work by a wetland, two trumpeter swans flew up and were flying neck to neck with our truck. It was like a race as we watched them fly next to us. Amazing!

3. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

That sounds wonderful, too! BTW, That's not thread drift---any rare species that is sighted is an exciting event!

4. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Lucky you! They sure are spectacular birds! How awesome to get to watch one eating something you didn't mind being eaten (not as much fun to watch such a bird eat something you have raised). ;) We have quite a few of the bald eagles nesting here in the Finger Lakes of NY. They don't like to advertise the locations because they don't want to disturb the birds but if you look for good habitat, chances are you'll find them. When I was working in Rochester, NY a number of years ago, they were introducing peregrine falcons on the building across the street from where I worked. Great fun watching them hunt pigeons!

5. FeralFemale

FeralFemale Bitter Clinger

We saw several of them canoeing down the allegheny river in northwestern PA. It was really cool.

6. Rowenna7

Rowenna7 Looking for my place...

Aren't the bald eagles wonderful to watch? In our little town on the Mississippi River, we are inundated by thousands of the each winter, and I never tire of seeing them. We even have a bald eagle days celebration each February. It used to be that the eagles all would leave each spring to fly north, but more and more are staying behind to nest each summer on the islands. I am so happy that they've made such a great comeback!

7. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i see them a lot, for some reason it's near noon every day. i was really excited about it too. i was told if you see a lot of young ones, that there is a nesting site nearby.

8. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

Was it not paying attention to it's mom? Was it cracking jokes during prayer? Was it pinching it's sister?

I guess I don't get how you decide that it's "immature".

:-D

We have a family here as well... the "immature one" got its white feathers this year.

We recently saw dad in the middle of the road, picking up something to eat. We stopped the car to watch. I told the kids this was somethnig they might not ever see again. Dad eagle had a jake in his talons. A full jake (12-18 mo old) and the entire body. Had it by the chest. He flapped like crazy and flew off, with the ENTIRE jake, about 10 feet off the ground. It was... well, awesome.

R

9. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

saw a bald eagle two weeks ago on the bay of fundy near campebelo island. there are lots of salmon cages on that part of the coast covered so birds and seals can't get in . still lots of fish and crabs around when the tide goes out ,guess he was looking for low tide. had never seen one before! wish we had some here too dine on the pigeons!!

10. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

they are very majestic birds. I was also excited the first time i seen them on our place here in iowa. they were working a farm pond for fish then they flew down the creek to a huge dead tree 3/4 mi. away i could barely make out a big nest in the top

way cool :cool:

11. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

You'd love Squamish, BC in November and December. TONS of bald eagles. They feed on the spawning salmon.

There's also quite a few at the garbage dump.

12. Scomber

Scomber Well-Known Member

Ah, Yes. The Bald Eagle. Our National Scavenger!
    I love to watch them fly, especially when there are a half dozen ravens in hot persuit.

Dan

13. debd0712

debd0712 Well-Known Member

Eagles are awesome birds to see. We were thrilled to find we have eagles here in southern Missouri during the winter - only been here a year. Our first sighting was an eagle flying directly over our house about 20 feet overhead. We haven't seen one as close since, but enjoyed many momements watching them soar over and around our property last winter. Have to admit we were glad they were elsewhere when kids and chicks started being born.

Debbie

14. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

:p

15. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

Wow I thought they mostly flew!!! Never knew any that canoed. Did they use paddles or just flapping their wings????

Sorry I just couldnt help it!!!

Alice in Virginia