Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Super Moderator
Posted 9/10/21 5:24 P.M. CDST

The other day a friend's 9 year old daughter asked us why her reflection in a mirror was "backwards".

After her father and I explained how the light was reflected and he wrote an all caps five word nonsense sentence of palindromes to show her how he could fool a mirror.

His daughter then whammied us by asking why if a mirror made right left and left right, why didn't it also turn things upside down too 馃ぃ

Registered
Here's a true little story someone might find amusing.

First I have to give you the set-up. This is all important for the visual. I live deep in the mountains of West Virginia and my place is surrounded by steep mountains with miles of mostly uninhabited forest. I'm a rather large man at 6'6" tall and 250 pounds. and have a very full, very long grayish white beard and hair.

One of my favorite pass times is to go trekking back in the mountains, dressing like and carrying only the gear that the eastern longhunters would have had... including a muzzleloading Pennsylvania rifle. I stay out anywhere from one night to more than two weeks at a time.

So, now to the story... last month around the third week I decide to go into the mountains for several nights. I decided to take a canvas tarp for a lean-to along with my other accruments and as nights in these mountains are starting to get a little chilly, i donned my red, one piece longjohns under my usual outfit.

I had hiked several miles into the woods and as the sun dips below the ridges rather early, I decide to make camp. I found a little level shelf to set up my lean-to, built a fire, had some jerky, dried apples, hard tack and tea for supper. Me and my dog, a protection trained German Shepherd, sat around the fire for a while and then stripping down to those red longjohns, I decided to turn in.

Sometime around midnight, Dog (that's his name) woke me with a low grumble... he's trained not to bark for alerts. I opened my eyes and looked up and there was a spotlight shining back and forth across the canvas of my shelter. I lay watching that spotlight seemingly get closer and closer. There shouldn't be anyone around and certainly no one should be shining a light on a mans camp without calling out.

I decided I needed to get out of that light before deciding my next step. I gently pulled back my wool blanket, so as to not alert the intruder/s that I was awake, grabbed my gun, rose to a low crouch and bound three long steps out the front of the lean-to. I took a rolling dive over a large downed log, turning, rolling and raising my rifle over the top of the log in one swift motion (remember... I'm only wearing those red, one piece longjohns). In an instand I had looked up and saw one of the prettiest things I ever saw in these here mountains... a big, bright full moon cresting the ridge and a perfect beam of moonlight shining through a hole in the leaf cover, right smack dab onto the back of my canvas.

Feeling slightly foolish, I eased up and kinda slinked back to my bed. Even worse, as I went to get back under the blanket, there was Dog, laying flat on his belly with his front paws crossed over his face... I swear to heaven as I looked at him I saw the corners of his mouth curl up into a smile. I never did figure out what he was grumbling about.

Registered
This is part of a note I sent to a couple friends...
a bit of how life is here in the far north..
=== ===
Yesterday (Sunday) we were out by the airport on the far side of the river valley to pick apples.. The airport has 8' security style chain link fence and cattle guards all the way around.. Also cameras in problem spots.. This because bears can climb the fence in a hot second..

So client was telling Sweetie that she took groceries into the house from there little car.. Returning to get the last grocery sack and pizza from the back.. Only find a bear trying to tear the back of the car off to get the hot pizza.. This doing $300 damages...

What a set of bad timing and coincident there..

How was your day ??

newfieannie
this is the only funny thing i can find here today. my eye is bunged up so the pic might be blurry. my husband brought me in these from the woods one day and i glued them together, must be over 30 years ago. have had them on my washroom countertop all this time(different washrooms) probably time to get rid of it but everytime i go to throw it out i think of him ~Georgia
Art Table Ceramic Artifact Serveware

Registered
In a meeting about a disabled clients program plan she had a list of jobs she could do with the help of her aid. Light house keeping was on the list

Her aid said I dont think the client can climb all those steps

newfieannie
i dont know how many times i read that over forcast before i got it. likely out in the sun too much today

Registered
Three surgeons were talking at lunch...
First one says ....... Accountants are my favorite patient... Everything is numbered and in order..
Second one says.... Librarians are my favorite... Everything is alphabetized...

Last one says.... Politicians are my favorite.. They are gutless, spineless, and there head and butt are interchangeable

• Haha
Reactions: no really
1 - 18 of 18 Posts