WE NEED EMERGENCY HELP! We have a problem with one of our babies!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Goat Freak, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

One of our twin babies born May 3, 2006, is acting very weird. She is hunching her back, not all the time, but still quite a bit, she is also baaing a lot more than usual, and while she was baaing for the herd, it seems that she doesn't want to be with them, she is also standing very strange, with her back legs all stretched out, she is also jerking her head, kinda to the side. I ddi a search, and it sounds like it might be coccidia, if so, how do you take care of it, if not, what is it, and how do I take care of it. She's not acting right, I'm afraid she's going to die. Please help.

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like you need to call a vet. Does not sound like cooci.
    Ideas that come to mind but may or may not be right:

Tetanus
    Listeriosis
    Polio
    Poison of some sort.

I would give her a large dose of vitamin B and Pennecilin. Also injectable Vitamin C if you have it. And call the vet for other ideas. Sorry I can't be of more help........ :shrug:
    If it might be something poisonous that she ate, she will need Vitamin C injectable and oral and Activated Charcoal.

3. Goat Freak

How much would a large dose be, she's only 20-25 pounds? Thank you. Now i can start looking at the diseases you listed and see if any match.

4. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound like cocci to me either. Vitamin B can't hurt. I always give kefir to my sick goats - but I'd hold off here and do the activated charcoal myself. The other thing - could she have been hit hard by an older goat? Sometimes that happens and it can do some damage, structurally, or to the nerves.

Do you have a good vet you can call?

Niki

5. ozark_jewels

Well, my bottle says 1 cc. per hundred lbs, but I would give about 4 cc's to your little girl. I have given way more than that to a kid that size and she was fine. I would certainly try the vitamin B, penn., and I think I would go ahead with Activated charcoal.

If its Polio, she will need the vitamin B and Pennicilin, and the Charcoal won't hurt even if its not poison.

6. ozark_jewels

Good suggestion!

7. Goat Freak

Yes she could have, and that's what my mom thinks. Lily's acting the same way that Jewel did just before she died, and Jewel was killed by a dog, and everyone figures that she died of a bite that hit one of her organs.

8. Goat Freak

What do I do if she does have internal problems, is there anything I can do. We don't have a vet that is close by, there just aren't any. That and I don't know if my parents would take her to the vet, because it's so far, that and it would take a while to get the phone number from a relative. I don't want to just wait around for her to die, I've done that too much now, I want to help her.

9. Goat Freak

Do the sypmtoms sound like poisening from an azaela? My little sister left the gate open and they all got out the other day, I only saw one of the older ones get a mouthful, but the baby could have gotten ahold of some. If so, what do I do to help her? Thank you all. Bye.

10. ozark_jewels

If it is internal injuries...you can give cayenne pepper(red kitchen pepper) for internal bleeding(VERY GOOD STUFF!). You can also give comfrey for healing. Internal injuries are very tricky......hopefully thats not what it is.

11. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I've never had a goat with azalea poisoning, so I don't know what that looks like. I have had goat kids with symptoms like you describe. I treat with 3cc thiamin, 1/4cc Banamine, and 1cc Biomycin for a kid that size. I also give Probios and sodium bicarb. This has gotten them better again. What happens is if the kid has polio, her vision starts to go and while she cries for the herd, she can't see well enough to be with them. If you think it's poisoning, I'd check with the vet and treat with the activated charcoal if that's what he thinks is wrong.

12. Goat Freak

Thak you all, we already gave her an azalea recipe we got from a search, some antibiotics, and some stuff to give her energy, plus we gave her her mama. She seems to be doing better, she is now walking, the correct way, and not crying, except for her mama to come closer, she sounds so hoarse from crying, but she looks much better. Thank you so much, everyone.

13. Goat Freak

Sorry guys, I have been on vacation a lot, and have not been able to post. Lily died two weeks ago, I think that she was cured, she was just so weak that she couldn't make it. Sorry for not being able to tell you guys sooner. Bye.