Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I tell you all our problem, I want to start by saying we are looking for an alternative to ending this bunny's life.

Our story:

We have not had rabbits for pets or other purposes in the past. In 2009 we found a mini rex young rabbit in our back yard, in an urban neighborhood. We took him in , could not find his owner and he became part of the family and is best buds with our 3 cats.

As unlikely as finding this rabbit was, 2013 rolls around and we find another mini rex in our front yard! We took him in and tried to find his owner, also with no luck. So, guess what...... yep; we have 2 bunnies that are not bonded to this day. I have read everything I could, spoke with some people from rabbit rescues; nothing is working. So, we are going on year 2 with our house divided....half for one bunny and half for the other. While I am still trying to get them to be friends (both males). We do not keep them caged up, they run around their part of the house and use the litter boxes.

I know, we are nuts.

So, we just moved to N. Idaho and I am still trying to get them to work things out. You would think the bonding issues is our "problem", but it gets worse.....

The newest bun has aggression issues. He lunges and growls (yes, I said growls). He sometimes bites and draws blood (not often). He is an ankle bitter (literally). He loves to be pet, but then can suddenly lunge and growl. He chases our cats now, nipped one the other day; they still give him love (groom him), and he really likes it. I am not sure if he was abused before we got him or what. And, this is our dilemma.

We really like the little guy, very smart and when he is not going all "Cujo" on us, he is sweet.

Also: all the cats and both Buns have been fixed.

So, if there are any "rabbit whisperers" out there; we would appreciate any advice. My husband, me and our other furbabies are being bullied by a 4 pound rabbit named Oreo (aka Cujo).

Thank you in advance :)
Janna

·
Premium Member
25,245 Posts
We lived with a Cujo/Speckles for 5 years. While he loved me and tolerated dd he would regularly chase and attack ds and bit my hubby a couple times.

Does your Cujo have a hidey box in "his" space? Sometimes that helps. Does he have a cage that is all his own space? You wouldn't necessarily have to close the door to it but it would give him his own territory.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Are they intact males it may fix things if you get a vet to fix them, it sounds like a territorial thing to me. The biting and growing is from the new bunny not feeling safe, you should try giving him some nice hiding places

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We lived with a Cujo/Speckles for 5 years. While he loved me and tolerated dd he would regularly chase and attack ds and bit my hubby a couple times.

Does your Cujo have a hidey box in "his" space? Sometimes that helps. Does he have a cage that is all his own space? You wouldn't necessarily have to close the door to it but it would give him his own territory.
Hi Danaus,
Thank you for your reply.

To answer your question, yes each bunny has a cage in their part of the house. They are 2'x3'x2.5' high, with a second half level. The door is always open, it is where they have their litter box, fresh hay, pellets and a soft cushion up top to lay on. I try not to go into the area, except to clean etc. They are both territorial with their cage, and do not like me messing with it. Right outside of each of their cages is their main eating area, where they get their twice daily fresh organic greens and water...and their morning favorite, a small piece of banana. They have also both found favorite spots around the house to nap; including sharing the cat trees with the kitties. They are both always flopping and napping, seem very at ease (except when Cujo is on the attack). Sometimes one of our cats gets in the cage and spoons with the bunny; both of them love that.

Cujo has been a growler/bitter since we found him. Our first found bunny has never been aggressive and licks us and the cats. They are like night and day.

When I have tried to bond them, they are very curious at first and have even snuggled a little, but it always ends with them starting to fight, and I have to separate them. I have tried to stress them in a car ride, they do cuddle when driving; when I bring them back home and work to bond again, they end up starting a fight again.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are they intact males it may fix things if you get a vet to fix them, it sounds like a territorial thing to me. The biting and growing is from the new bunny not feeling safe, you should try giving him some nice hiding places
Hi Lady,
Thank you for your reply.

Neither are intact. Our first bun was fixed back in 2009, after we found him. Cujo was fixed in July 2013, right after we realized that we were not going to be able to find his owner.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
It doesn't take bad handling. Some rabbits are just insane. Hormones can contribute but that is more often a problem with does instead of bucks. It's often just genetic and you can manage the behavior problems, making them feel safe and just blocking their biting attempts, but you can't get rid of the behavior completely.

It is also quite common for 2 rabbits, even altered, to not get along. Especially if they are the same gender. It is very likely they will never get along no matter what you do. Rabbits are territorial and while they like some company they can also be aggressive and refuse to accept another animal when they feel it's a threat to their space. It's not uncommon for 1 or both rabbits to clash with each other for life. That's why it is not suggested to attempt a friend rabbit unless you are prepared to house them separately. If you've gone through all the suggested stuff on other house/pet rabbit sites there probably aren't any methods left that might put them together.

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts
I do not mean any Harm, Just saying what """""I""""" would do if my rabbit bit me----I get him by the back legs and *** *** ** *** **** *** ****, Put him in a pot----He B Good Then with rice!!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I hate to say this, as I know how attached we can get to our furry ones, but if it has been a year and he is still having these issues, I don't see it changing.

It might be time to change focus from "What can we do to change him?" to "How are we going to deal with how he is?". Maybe looking at it with just that small change will help you find your answer. Good luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the great advice. I suppose we are just going to have to find us a couple pairs of ankle protectors :)

·
Premium Member
25,245 Posts
Try putting a cardboard cover over the cage so he has a place where he can hide. Some rabbits get freakish when they have no place they can be hidden from view. A box helps our Nellie, at least until she chews holes in every side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts