We need a machine to mow/weed

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by lacesout, Aug 3, 2006.

1. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

I've never posted her before but I have a question and am hoping experienced people could help. We have five acres - lots of weeds, and a patch of lawn. I need a mower type thing that can mow the lawn and mow down rather tall, thick weeds as well. I've been to the major hardware stores and seen all kinds of riding mowers etc until I am absolutley overwhelmed. They are really pricey so if I have to get one, I don't want to make a mistake. I guess what I want is the most versatile, weed-mower, lawn-mower, and it wouldn't hurt if it could also handle attachments to till as well. Any recommendations??

Thanks in advance for any advice. PS we are not wealthy.

Lynn in Western Colorado

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Check on the Gravely brand, it features a rotary plow that can be interchanged with the mower head, and it will handle the tall tough grass.

3. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

We use a DR, 14 hp. It is truly the irresistable force that overcomes the immoveable object.

4. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

The riding mowers at the chain stores are,for the most part,junk,and will not hold up mowing brush in the woods-the cutting decks are just too flimsy,and will break,if something else doesn't break first.Something from"wheel horse"might fit the bill,but they aint cheap.If you can tell me what kind of acreage,and what you want to cut,I might be able to give a better answer.A commercial grade string trimmer with a brush cutter attachment can blast through saplings,brush,and tall weeds at a suprising rate.

5. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Our acreage is flat and it is not overrun with weeds. We have a neighbor who clears it with a tractor/brush hog yearly. Our neighbor is in his mid-eighties and I really don't want him doing it - I worry about him.

Our weeds are bushy, and no more than 24 to 30 inches high. Our soil is very alkilai so does not grow much - no sapplings, etc. I don't want a tractor but could really use something that could mow the lawn, too. Don't want anything cheap and flimsy, just on general principal. I know it will cost $$ but can't afford too too much.

Thanks again for everyone's imput. Lynn

6. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Once its bush hogged you should be able to keep it all cut with any good mower. Id get at least 20 HP for an area that size. Or fence part of it off and get a couple of goats

7. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Also, if you want to do tillage why not ask your neighbor to sell you his tractor? Most "garden tractors" wont really do any heavy work

8. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

check out ebay for walking tractors, gravely, walk behind tractor, 2 wheeled tractor, David Bradley, BCS tractor, in your area as the shipping could be a drawback for some of the heavy stuff..... the attachments with some are worth driving a distance for cause they sell cheap sometimes as opposed to the new attachments.

some are costly, but those that are still running after 30-50 years were built to last, some may have tire problems, and some may need nothing at all but a new home to work for.

The same goes for some of the older tractors with belly mowers sometimes advertised on ebay.... yeah youll pay upwards of $3000 for one, but oncet in awhile one sqeeks by for nearly nothing and most are restored to original condition just needing a new home..... and they are a 4 wheel tractor to boot with the capability of pulling a plow and disk albeit a small one and a 2 bottom plow at most but still workable..... just cause a machine is outdated for modern factory farming, doesnt mean it still cannot be useful to the smallholder it was meant for originally to replace the team of horses.... or one mule on a farmstead..... and they can be run in a parade too once you git them home!

William

9. Wildtim

Wildtim Well-Known Member

Once the land is brushhogged down any of the mowers you have looked at will keep it short for you. The cheepest often have the same engine as the most expensive the differences are in the strength of the frame and the thickness of the steel on the decks.

Buy based on the quality of the deck. I learned earlier this summer that a replacment deck for my $1500 tractor would be over $1000.

You might also look at what you actually want to mow. Five acres is a lot even for a big commercial mower (excepting golf course varieties). You may find it better to leave some wild area with mown walking paths rather than clear cutting. This saves on gas and time as well as encouraging wildflowers and bird habitat.