We NEED a ....Georgia.....House "Raisin"...You'll!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Jan 10, 2005.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............Seems TOO me that , the Homesteadin' folks in Georgia need to Gather Up their Hammers and Saws , Generators , Campers , and Have Several Weekend House raisin' parties to help a Certain Lady get her feet on the Ground as well as in her own "Home" . . I'm over here in Texas, and TOO far away but I can spot a Homesteader.....Without A Home that Need(s) Help from WAY , over here in Texas . HomeSteaders ....can't be Homesteaders.....TILL they have a Home too....Stead...In , can they????....Fordy... :eek: :D

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Where in Georgia is she?

3. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm in GA, but since it is a big state, where is the would be homestead located?

Sidepasser

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...........N.E. Georiga.....SomeBody , over in georiga , with a Big Heart needs to get ahold of this situation , get it organized and turn it into a community effort and start recruiting folks who want to help and can contribute both their knowledge and resources to make life alittle better for a family that needs a Decent place to Live . I'm just stating the Obvious here but somebody has to speakup ! fordy.. :)

5. suehi25

suehi25 New Member

fordy, since you cannot be a big boy and state whom your refering to, I am going to be a big girl and ask you where you refering to my post from earlier today. if so, I suggest for future references, you not read more into something than is there. your conclusions are completly wrong, so that said. to satisfy your wandering mind, the reason for my post was to get more information about people homesteading, as I am wanting to learn different things about homesteading from people in my region and what worked or didn't work for them.
    Also what prompt you to look at my post, if it was my post you were refering to because it said "Any Homesteaders from Georgia". Now I believe you are in Texas. Were you bored or something and nothing else to do :D

6. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

I think that most of us figured out pretty quickly who he is referring to. And it's not you.

7. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I hope it is not in bad form to state who it is, but just so you know sue, it is sancraft.

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Sue, You are not the person referenced. I too, have Fordy's concern and I would like to help in some way. This individual is a deserving person and needs an assist. Good things need to happen to good people!

9. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

I know that I'm on the phone often with her trying to get this one figured out.

Trying to think sideways, frontways, backwards and upside down ....

Thought we had it figured out, but the rules changed 1/1/05.

Go read her posts, and it will tell you approx where she is, it's near Augusta GA/Athens GA I thinK.

AngieM2

10. Timedess

Timedess Guest

What wonderful thoughtfulness, Fordy! I wish we were close enough to help out. Arkansas is too far to commute, though. :( It's great to see so many folks so supportive of one another, and so encouraging! :)

11. Terri in WV

Terri in WV Well-Known Member Supporter

south central Kentucky(finally out of all the snow
    I'm to far to be of any help but what about Habitat?

12. MicheleMomof4

MicheleMomof4 Well-Known Member

Im in Florida and traveling that way in August. Im sure the house raisin' will be done before then, but I would love to stop by and help out however we can! Let us know if you need someone, just PM :)

13. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

I'm in NC and am somewhat new to the board, but I know where Athens is...used to go there a lot. I dunno if I can come and physically help, but if other things are needed- supplies, mula, etc- I would be more than happy to send some stuff her way! :D

14. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Not just Georgia, but all the surrounding states. Set a time, some weekends, etc. I might even come down and keep everyone in sandwiches.

Sue, you just keep on writing for info. No one's out here to git anyone, just to help. I can see how you'd misunderstand.

15. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I don't have a lot of skills, but am willing to learn. Give me directions from I95 (just don't choose the Presidents' weekend Feb 19 - 21 as that's the Fla gathering for forum members). What should we bring besides camping equipment, tents and food?

16. doodles

doodles Well-Known Member

I live about 30 minutes from Athens.Can someone pm me and fill me in on what might be needed? I'm sure that I can help.
    Angie

17. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

This is the nicest thing that anyone has ever tried to do for me. I am sooooo touched, I'm literally in tears. I need any and all kinds of building supplies. I have 2 outside doors, a woodstove and all appliances and furniture. I'm checking with a logging company that very close by to see if they can clear and pay me with milled wood. I'm not sure if they mill wood or not. I left a message for them today and will let you know what they say. Also, we're going to some salvage yards this weekend and seeing what things cost. There's plenty of room for camping and I will have bottled water to use.

18. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie "You have to be odd to be number one." Dr Seuss

Wish I was closer, I swing a mean hammer.

Stacy

19. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

I'm getting into this late, so maybe I have a bad idea but.........if you have trees, how about a log structure? Nothing complicated, just a simple one? If enough people helped, the lifting, etc. wouldn't be as bad perhaps..........might be a little cheaper than any other building method........build the way the pioneers did......clay chinking, etc. A small cabin would be a good start I think......of course, you'll want some milled wood for things like the flooring, and maybe some for the roof.......metal roofing? I have no idea of the prices there, but it is still cheap here to do metal sheets. I hope it all works out........

20. jukebox

jukebox Well-Known Member

Sancraft if you deal with any lumber processing companys make sure the wood is dried properly. Had a friend that used green materials and he ended up with a real mess. The "wood borers" showed up and his house had to be wrapped in plastic and fumigated.

Check out the following article.

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/powderpostbeetles.htm