We moved! I Love this place.....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by KellyHill, Jun 2, 2006.

1. KellyHill

KellyHill Well-Known Member

I hav'nt been on much in the last 5 months. We sold our place in western wa and moved to Newport (eastern wa). We bought 10 acres with an old trailer on it, then bought a newer single wide and put it where the old one was. Its a lot of work moving all those animals and our stuff but we did it, in early march no less! that was an experience! we thought we could get here and slam in a bunch of fence posts and put up a fence like in western wa. Boy where we wrong! the ground didnt thaw out for another month. The 8 goats and 1 sheep had to live in the stock trailer for longer than they wanted! the chickens got to move out of crates and into a converted garden shed after only about a week. the cat moved into the tool shed and the dogs were in the trailer with us. Then the goats started having babies 2 days after we arrived! thank the Lord we had the pump house, the babies went in there, in a stock tank.
    I think we did pretty well, we moved 5 pregnant goats, 2 bucks, 1 sheep, 18 chickens, 1 cat, and 3 dogs. 3 of the goats gave birth within 2 weeks of getting there. the other 2 a month later. as of june first we have only lost 1 animal, a baby goat. but we have add a nice ram, some turkeys and rabbits to our farm. we have put in fences, built a goat barn onto the tool shed, put in a good sized garden(I'm learning to be patient and not plant too soon!) planted some blueberrys and strawberries, and have learned that we have a lot to learn about where we are! Its been an adventure finding which feed stores we like, which grocerie stores to go to, and what to wait to buy until we are going to Spokane. The people here are friendly and very willing to answer questions about just about everything.
    Dh just got a job and we are settling in. One thing that was a huge help was that another family moved with us. they lived with us, in their fifth-wheel trailer, untill they found a house and moved into it this last weekend. It worked out really well and us women didnt feel quite so alone in a new land!
    Well thats my update, I hope to be able to contribute on the lists again now that I have a little more time now!

Kathy,
    from Newport Wa.

2. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Congrats! Sounds exciting... :baby04:

3. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

You just missed getting into Idaho, didn't you?

You sound in good spirits in spite of the adventures.

Frozen ground can be a problem -- for fence posts and for trailer blocking. Did the latter get done properly by the hauler?

4. KellyHill

Obser...
    Yea we almost made it to Idaho, but the land prices where a little better on this side of the line. Dh's job is in Idaho though!

a good attitude and the ability to not take yourself to seriously is very necessary when making a move like that!
    we got the new trailer only about 3 weeks ago so the ground is thawed! blocking is just fine! thanks for asking!

QBVII.......thanks! its very exciting

5. bare

bare Head Muderator

Sounds like you got the place Chamoisee was looking/hoping to get. That price differential is amazing ain't it?

6. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

Settle in , put the coffe on and join us once in awhile

7. KellyHill

The prices here in Pend Orielle are going up too. We bought in the middle of winter. The sellers where willing to come down on their price. We made an offer on it before we set foot on the ground. Of course we had a contingnecy(sp) that we make a visual inspection before it closed. My BIL checked it out, then My husband drove over to look. I only saw pictures of it before we got here! There arent many places for sale under $100,000 any more. But They are a LOT less expensive than on the coast!

8. praise4him

praise4him Well-Known Member

In Idaho!! Isn't it beautiful in this area? I would not trade it for anything. Yo may find in the winter that you are in the middle of the snow belt like we are. Hope you like shoveling snow! Where in Idaho does your husband work? There are lots of service industry jobs here but anything else you have to have either lots of experience in that field or a good degree.
    Anyway, congrats!
    Blessings,
    Jennifer

9. KellyHill

Jennifer,
    He's working at the True Value in Old town. He likes it a lot, this is the first time he's worked in retail. The slower pace here is nice, he can take time to talk about the weather, fishing and hunting with the customer while helping them find a new fitting for their sink!

where across the line are you?

10. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing with us. First hand experience can answer lots of questions for folks wanting to take that big step like you did!

11. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Congrats on your new place! Exciting, isn't it? :p We moved to our 10 acres in March too, and we are just in love with it. Like you said, the pace is slower, people are friendly, and I found a job just 7 miles away, working in a warehouse for a company that sells saddles and horse "stuff". I drive to work down country roads, lined with broodmares and foals.

We didn't have quite so many critters to move, six goats, miscellaneous poultry, two horses, three cats and a dog. The goats are just kidding now. Our fencing was good for the horses, but we want to build a goat run, and, eventually, a proper poultry shed. Right now, the chickens and ducks are in a stall in the barn, and I need it for goats!

12. sagecreek

sagecreek Well-Known Member

Welcome to the neighborhood! I just sold some sheep to some folks from Newport. Be sure to check out Green Bluff this Summer!

Scott

13. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Hi Neighbor! We live nearby, north of Priest River.

14. HydroDude

HydroDude Active Member

Hi Kelly,

We are "neighbors" too. Off grid homestead in process near Sandpoint. Weekends only for the next couple years. Monday through Friday here in Liberty Lake.