we may have to move

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by myheaven, Jun 14, 2006.

1. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

Well after working hard on this house. We may have to sell it and move to???who knows?? Dh has an oppertunity to take a BIG advancement in his company. I really want him to take it. Hes reserved about it due to he dosent want me to give up the farm, my dream. I know he'll do great with this new job position. And well get to see him much more. At first he will have to be gone up to 6 mts for training with out us seeing him. We will have to move where ever his company needs him at. This means the south also.
    I truly dont want to step on toes or ruffel "feathers" But im a yankee nuff said???? :shrug:
    If we had to move to the south what would be the best way not to ---- anyone off? I dont want to disturbe anone or put up a mansion. a small house is great for me. We just want to live off our land and keep to our selves.
    We were very scared when we purchased this house due to we were intruding on "famil land" but things have been great. We "proved our worth" and our neighbors love us and we love our neighbors.
    I sure hope im not sticking my foot in my mouth here. I just need to prepare.Thanks in advance.

2. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

Odd, my niece and hubby just moved to Wisconsin for a better paying job-now I get to call her a "cheesehead". About getting along in the South--just tell us how you did it back home and treat us like dumb hillbillies--we are used to that from "yamdankees"--lol. They are like hemroids-come down,irritate you constantly(worse at times), and seldom go back up. You could be worse and be from the North East and really talk funny. I am having fun doing this-got to stop---"naw". Seriously, you will do just fine. There are good people everywhere you go and one tends to find the same kind of people that they are. Good neighbors usually find the same kind of folks. You will have to get used to saying--"Y'll come back now-ya hear". And the ever popular --"well bless your pea pickin heart". Will try to find you a "hillbilly" slang dictionary post. If someone irritates you there is always the "kalifornia salute" that will win you friends and influence others--got to quit this. You yankees are more "funner dan a barrle o monkeees". got to quit this. Later on my yankee friend.

3. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

Our second son had an opportunity to move up in the corporate world by accepting a job with another company. He and his family had just moved into a brand new home 1 mile from us. He and his wife have 2 sons and the first grand daughter we have ever had. He wasn't looking for a job else where. But this company came after him and made him an offer he had to take. They left the new home after being there for less than seven months. They are now 901 miles away in Tennessee.

They have made new friends in their neighborhood. They have joined a church where they made more friends. As hard as it was to leave the area where their families live they have made a new start and are doing well. It sounds like you are the type of person people like no matter where you're from. North or south east or west doesn't make a differeence as much as one would think. I depends a lot on you. If you are a likeable person who cares for others you will do fine. Our son and daughter-in-law like where they are even though they miss us a lot. They wouldn't want to come back to New Jersey. I can't blame them for that. I want ot move to Tennessee myself.

As much as our daughter-in-law didn't want to leave here she wouldn't stand in the way of her husbands opportunity to move up in the business world. She and the children are enjoying their new home and the rewards of a good income.

If you move south you may have a better homestead than you have now. Good luck. NJ Rich

4. via media

via media Tub-thumper

How you'll fare will be determined 50% by keeping an open mind and 50% by patience.

- Things tend to be a little slower. Take a deep breath and wait patiently.
    - Allow people to pull out in front of you and wait your turn at a 4-way stop.
    - Speak to strangers - say hey and thank you. (Practice saying "Hey" :) )
    - Things won't be done the same way as "back home" but you don't need to mention that to everyone within earshot.

It's an adjustment, even when you move from state to state in the south, and sometimes from city to city within the same state.

/VM

5. djb473

djb473 Well-Known Member

:flame: :grump: could be worse and be from the North East and really talk funny

HAY GIDEON WE THE PEOPLE OF MASSACHUSETTS ARE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO SPEAK PROPERLY IN THIS COUNTRY ,THE REASON BEING THE LAST TIME I CHECKED A HISTORY BOOK THE PILGRAMS LANDED HERE NOT IN SAVANAH OR ANY WHERE ELSE FOR THAT MATTER :nono: LOL.
    AND BY THE WAY GET OVER IT YOU LOST THE WAR :nana:

6. Anniebek

Anniebek Well-Known Member

Just remember, y'all is a contraction of the words you and all. That means it is a plural word! Don't try to call a single person y'all, it stands for a group. Also, you guys kinda grates on the ears here :D

Anniebek

7. menollyrj

menollyrj Joy Supporter

I'm from MD living in TN. While MD isn't above the Mason-Dixon, I'm still considered a Yankee... I found that once people could connect me with something or someone, I was "in." We live near family, so I have found myself often saying, "I'm L & B's DIL. I married their youngest son T." Or, "We live out by RW off of Red Hill. We bought TH's old property and built a house." Once people know who I am, where I'm from means less.

As for homesteading, the self-sufficient attitude is celebrated in many parts of the country, not just up north. That is the beauty of homesteading - you can do it ANYWHERE. You'll be fine, whatever is decided. Semper Gumbi is my motto. (Always Flexible.) :rolleyes:

-Joy

8. JBourne76

JBourne76 Bathtub Ninja

When guests are departing and they say, "y'all come go with us," you're really not supposed to go with. :p

If you make eye contact with someone while you're driving, give a little wave or a nod even if you don't know them.

Best advice ever from Via Media:

- Speak to strangers - say hey and thank you. (Practice saying "Hey" )
    - Things won't be done the same way as "back home" but you don't need to mention that to everyone within earshot.

9. no1cowboy

no1cowboy Single male homesteader

Is having that much money that important??? If your happy and content why change?

10. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Having moved multiple times for my DH's career, I can tell you, the prospect is scary, but the reality is simply that you get to keep the friends you had, and you have the opportunity to make new ones.

Be open minded, be friendly (but not pushy), and keep your "advice" to yourself. Take the advice of others (locals) seriously -- they've lived there longer than you. Don't suggest that ANYTHING is inferior to places you've been before, and don't EVER say "I don't know if I'll ever get used to..." (it suggests that it's somehow inferior to what you're used to).

Be friendly, and smile. Don't try to use the local vernacular -- it only makes you look like you're trying too hard, and people will NEVER take you seriously if you get a rep for trying too hard. Be genuine.

Never say anything bad about anyone -- even to the point of agreeing with a "new best friend" who is badmouthing someone -- it's probably their cousin, and the minute you agree, they're going to get defensive. This isn't a "southern" thing -- this applies EVERYWHERE.

And understand when people expect you to not last -- your DH's career brought you to town, it'll probably be the cause for you leaving it, too -- at least, that's how most folks will see it. ;)

Enjoy the experience. If it's a wrench to give up your land, just think of it in terms of your DH's company paying for you to see and experience different parts of the country (and in some cases, different countries) while you decide on the area for your FINAL property :)

Good luck --

Tracy

11. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

You'll be able to homestead in the south, too - and you'll have a longer growing season!

12. ArkansasLady

ArkansasLady Well-Known Member Supporter

also...southern states vary alot from state to state...I was sooo much amazed at the differences in the people in MS than here in my home state of AR, but for the most parts people in the south are friendly....I went to college with a gal from WS and other than the fact that she talked funny (to us) she did fine...was really a sweet gal and fit right in..

~Cindy~

13. myheaven

My dh will be taking a pay cut to tell you the truth. Im pushing for this due to he'll be home more.

Im "odd" here. When i tell people I home stead they look at me like I said i was from mars. But then they want my home raised chickens.

I like the idea of the growing season being longer.
    Im scared of the poisnus things :help:

I like hard work, long days, and the old way of doing it.

I believe strongly in manners.

Thank you all

14. myheaven

Well it looks like dh is fully on the band wagon hell be requesting the job. I feel this will be positive for the family. If not he can have his old job back. lol.

15. clamjane

clamjane Well-Known Member

Pretty good advice from everyone, my two cents, don't skimp on the air conditioning system. LOL